La Marzocco Linea Mini app and Apple iOS privacy change

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
yertchuk
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yertchuk »

Recently my iPhone LMLM app has been dropping out at random times, sometimes to the point where I have to log in again with user name and password. Annoying.

Turns out that the problem is Apple's doing. With iOS 14 they introduced a 'private wifi address' feature that's enabled by default. What this does is apply a random MAC address in place of the hardware defined value. This changes when you change networks. The idea is to stop trackers following you as you move from network to network.

I'm not sure I fully understand how this affects the LMLM app, but I can say that disabling the feature has fixed my problem. It's easy to do: go to settings, wifi, click on 'information' icon, and turn off 'Private Address'.

Fixed!

Al deHyde

#2: Post by Al deHyde »

Thanks much for the heads-up. Appreciated!

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
mborkow

#3: Post by mborkow »

Intentionally disabling security features on your iphone is something you might live to regret...

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

yertchuk wrote:I'm not sure I fully understand how this affects the LMLM app
i would guess that LM does something by MAC address, rather than IP address.

That was pretty common 20 years ago in the early days of home networking and proprietary home-networking protocols. These days, "outdated" is about the most polite way I can describe it.