La Marzocco Linea Mini 0.6mm gicleur and bar pressure

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
linuxAndJavaScript
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by linuxAndJavaScript »

With the linea micra having a .6mm gicleur, It makes me want to update my Linea Mini with a .6mm gicleur.

I read the other thread about how to do it and I read all the posts too. I am under the impression that I have to lower the bar pressure if I do this mod on the Mini? If so, how come the bar pressure can be 9 on the Micra with the same .6mm gicleur

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

linuxAndJavaScript wrote:I am under the impression that I have to lower the bar pressure if I do this mod on the Mini?
Whatever gave you that impression is wrong. In terms of machine operation, the pressure can be anything you like, regardless of gicleur size. Your taste preferences is another story; a lot of people prefer setting fixed pressure rotary pump machines at around 8 bar, rather than 9. This preference is based on taste, not operability.
Jim Schulman

cafespress

#3: Post by cafespress »

I installed the .6 gicleur, before I started using my Mini. My pump pressure was about 9 at that time. I ran it at 9 for several months, don't recall when I changed it. l'm currently running it at about 7. I've changed the pressure periodically based on the beans I am using. Don't think the .6 gicleur, which is standard on the GS3, requires a lower pressure. Some users just prefer the lower pump pressure to improve extractions, or for other reasons with or without the gicleur change.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

linuxAndJavaScript wrote:...I am under the impression that I have to lower the bar pressure if I do this mod on the Mini? If so, how come the bar pressure can be 9 on the Micra with the same .6mm gicleur
In the future, I suggest creating one thread on a topic area rather than several closely-related threads:
  1. Question on the size of gicleur and grind setting
  2. How accurate is the bar pressure gauge on La Marzocco Linea Mini?
  3. And now this one makes three.
I'll copy/paste my answer from the other thread. :|
HB wrote:...I recommend treating the reading as "X", adjusting X-1 or X+1 bar, and deciding which produces the best tasting espresso.
Dan Kehn