La Marzocco Linea Micra - Page 44

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mctrials23

#431: Post by mctrials23 »

Anyone UK based who has ordered one of these had any communication from LM. I have sent them a few emails and had nothing back. Ordered on 14th.

rolex

#432: Post by rolex »

I am concerned about the fact people are saying the clearance is too short to fit both a scale and a cup under the portafilter. How could they screw that up?

drH

#433: Post by drH »

I'm not totally sure, but it looks like it's not an issue if you use the bottomless portafilter. If you split shots into latte cups, maybe then it's a problem.

mctrials23

#434: Post by mctrials23 »

rolex wrote:I am concerned about the fact people are saying the clearance is too short to fit both a scale and a cup under the portafilter. How could they screw that up?
By not leaving enough space obviously :wink:

All jokes aside, it does seem like a very obvious oversight if that is the case. I don't think you can make the argument that someone spending £3k on a coffee machine isn't going to want to use scales. I don't want to be pulling espresso into a cup and then having to use another cup for the actual drink. Thats just silly.

Silentsim

#435: Post by Silentsim »

Wonder when an acaia drip tray will be released...

Jake_G
Team HB

#436: Post by Jake_G »

I weigh 90% of my shots after I pull them...

Scales are for developing consistency. Once you have that established, I find stopping by weight to be limiting. I stop based off of how the flow is looking, and this tends to be a better indicator of what I'm going to get in the cup than the exact gram of yield.
LMWDP #704

rolex

#437: Post by rolex »

Ah, ok. I am an amateur who still uses weights and times (Acacia) as both a starting point, and means to make adjustments unfortunately. Hopefully as years go by I become less reliant!

Jake_G
Team HB

#438: Post by Jake_G »

I weigh all my doses and ensure I'm within a 10th of a gram (usually :P ). For yield, I use a scale for initial dial in to get things close and then I pretty much go analog.

And this is where the Micra and Linea Mini really should shine. Flip the paddle over to start the shot, flip it back to end the shot. They don't have volumetric dosing for that exact reason. It doesn't fit the design aesthetic - they are manual machines. It would be like whining that your //M series car doesn't have soft suspension or an automatic transmission.

Anywho. I'm sure someone will release an Acaia drip grate for it soon, but I (personally) don't see group height as being a determining factor. The machine is called the Micra; it's supposed to be small :wink:
LMWDP #704

NewCoffeeGuy1

#439: Post by NewCoffeeGuy1 »

Are the commonly used scales waterproof? Thinking about purges, drips, etc. if integrated into the drip tray (which I think is a cool thing otherwise).

OK31
Supporter ♡

#440: Post by OK31 »

The headspace even with a bottomless with an Acaia lunar is still small. We had to use a small shot glass to pull and then pour or use a split and for the regular 2 spout you had to angle even the small shot cups to get in so a latte cup though would fit wouldn't be a smooth slide, more like put cup, lift slide scale and then reverse backwards. With bottomless it would be a bit better but you almost wouldn't see the flow even with a mirror.

Not a deal breaker but if you're used to the space it would be annoying.