La Marzocco Linea Micra - Page 43

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
OK31
Supporter ♡

#421: Post by OK31 »

Just curious after locking in what's the 10s rest for?

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#422: Post by Milligan »

baldheadracing wrote:The USA version of the Micra is listed as NSF-certified: https://info.nsf.org/Certified/food/Lis ... LaMarzocco
(NSF certification is only needed for commercial use in some parts of the USA/Canada)

Somewhat interesting to see that the Leva X 1 group is not listed.
Interesting! The Sprometheus video said it was not NSF/commercial certified so we can add misinformed to his weird hot take opinion. Unless he is possibly based out of another country.

HB
Admin

#423: Post by HB »

Jake_G wrote:I'm still not convinced this means anything at all for real world use, but it is the protocol that is used to stress-test machines used in competition, so it is what it is.
OK31 wrote:Just curious after locking in what's the 10s rest for?
For those who are interested in the details, see section 5 "Testing" in WBC Procedure for Measurement of Brewing Water Temperature.
Dan Kehn

Idfixe

#424: Post by Idfixe »

I'm sure they will phase out the full mini with it.... Too much the same for a bit less. Makes a great product more competitive.

linuxAndJavaScript

#425: Post by linuxAndJavaScript »

I can't imagine someone buying the Mini now. The only reason would be for the extra vertical space underneath the group head. And maybe the extra space for cups on the cup warmer. But I couldn't imagine anyone paying extra money for that.

I like the Sprometheis review. It made some good points that I didn't see other reviews. I was also doubtful about the 5-minute warm up time and he confirmed it.

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#426: Post by Jshot »

I don't see the Mini being phased out. It's just more versatile than the Micra.

The headspace on the Mini is not particularly spacious, but with the drain tray scale mod (scale is flush with tray surface) and bottomless portafilter I can accommodate any milk drink. When I have guests, they can select anything from a cortado to a 12 oz latte. Easily froth 8 or more ounces of milk. I don't see how that can happen with the Micra since you lose a full inch in headspace and have to use a frothing wand that would struggle with a 17 oz pitcher.

Notice how reviewers like Spro are not using a scale on the tray. Spro always used one when he had the Mini. So he couldn't use the Micra as his daily driver like he did the Mini, but somehow the Micra is a Mini killer? Hmmm

Both Mini and Micra will have a place in the LM lineup, imo.

drH

#427: Post by drH »

linuxAndJavaScript wrote:I like the Sprometheis review. It made some good points that I didn't see other reviews. I was also doubtful about the 5-minute warm up time and he confirmed it.
It seems like he was paying attention to the wrong thing though. Testing by multiple reviewers has confirmed the 5 minute warm-up. The fact that the portafilter isn't fully hot at 5 minutes was accounted for by La Marzocco: the basket barely touches the side of the portafilter and the plastic bottom is designed not to draw away any heat. Kaffeemascher also tested this with a scace.

mctrials23

#428: Post by mctrials23 »

I would wager that a quick flush would fix any lingering issues with it not being quite up to temp. My main concern is with the lack of headroom for cups and scales. I might end up having to take a dremel to the drip tray grate to make a slot for the scales as it does look tight under the PF even with the bottomless PF.

Keiichi

#429: Post by Keiichi »

mctrials23 wrote:My main concern is with the lack of headroom for cups and scales.
yeah, mine too. and the short steam wand!

graphidz

#430: Post by graphidz »

Jake_G wrote:You have to understand the protocol.

10s idle time is not time between shots. It is 10s of idle time being locked into the group after taking whatever the standard time is to knock the puck, wipe, grind, tamp, etc...

I believe 10s idle time gives you 60 seconds between shots like so:
  • 25s - Pull first shot
  • 25s - Remove PF, knock puck, grind, tamp, lock in
  • 10s - Idle rest
So the 30s idle time gives you 80s between 25s shots.

I'm still not convinced this means anything at all for real world use, but it is the protocol that is used to stress-test machines used in competition, so it is what it is.

Cheers!

- Jake
I see. That makes more sense then. So that means at the 8th shot it's basically back to back brews. Kinda sad that the Micra can't handle that. Wonder how well other machines can maintain temperature during back to back brews.