La Marzocco Linea Micra - Page 159

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mkelley010
Posts: 5
Joined: 4 years ago

#1581: Post by mkelley010 »

Ordered 1/23 so mine should be in that range on the earlier side. Good to know and looking forward to getting it! Thanks for sharing y'all.

matthewh133
Posts: 39
Joined: 2 years ago

#1582: Post by matthewh133 »

I'm looking for some insight on workflow. The only method I've got a consistently decent pull on my micra is with a 17g dose, while using a puck screen. The interesting thing is that I can't tighten the portafilter all the way due to the protruding screw, and over time this has left a gradual slope in the middle of my puck screen. Yet, if I remove the puck screen, or try a different dose size, I get wildly inconsistent pulls and often spraying, or just no liquid coming through at all.

I'm interested in everyone else's workflows, dose sizes, etc. I'm using the stock convex tamper and 17g basket.

Also, regarding milk steaming, I have been using this machine every day for a year now. I still can't get a perfect steaming "tear" sound. It's either a little too much of a violent ripping sound, or none at all. The issue is the angle of the steam wand in the milk, which is too steep. But, that can't be helped due to how short the wand is. Has anyone made an aftermarket steam wand for this thing or managed a way to perfect this and would be able to share?

Finally, with the stock tamper, I get a ring of coffee grinds above the tamped puck. Whenever I see these aesthetic coffee videos, everyone's tamped surface is always so smooth, but whenever I tamp, no matter what I do (push hard/push not as hard), I'm always left with some loose grinds on top of the puck and a ring around the edges. Again, is this normal, and any tips to "fix" this?

samsonpvr
Posts: 79
Joined: 6 years ago

#1583: Post by samsonpvr replying to matthewh133 »

I recommend not using the stock tamper. You may enjoy something like the Force Tamper if you're looking to add consistency to your work flow. Which grinder do you have? How fresh is the coffee?

User avatar
Jeff
Team HB
Posts: 6919
Joined: 19 years ago

#1584: Post by Jeff »

I wouldn't worry too much about a few loose grinds. Getting a level bed and a level tamp are key.

My notes say 16 g dose of medium roast in a VST 18. If the screw leaves more than a shadow of an imprint on a dry, tamped puck, you may be over-filling the basket. Darker roasts tend to be less dense and may need to be a bit less in the basket.

matthewh133
Posts: 39
Joined: 2 years ago

#1585: Post by matthewh133 »

samsonpvr wrote:I recommend not using the stock tamper. You may enjoy something like the Force Tamper if you're looking to add consistency to your work flow. Which grinder do you have? How fresh is the coffee?
What's wrong with the stock tamper? Force looks great, but I do have a normcore spring-loaded tamper already and that was 1/5th of the price. I haven't used it with the micra much as I figured the convex nature helped offset the screw?
Jeff wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about a few loose grinds. Getting a level bed and a level tamp are key.

My notes say 16 g dose of medium roast in a VST 18. If the screw leaves more than a shadow of an imprint on a dry, tamped puck, you may be over-filling the basket. Darker roasts tend to be less dense and may need to be a bit less in the basket.
What about not just loose grinds, but also a big ring of grinds above the puck tamp line?

Is that 16g with a puck screen, or without? Are most people using a puck screen with the micra?

User avatar
Jeff
Team HB
Posts: 6919
Joined: 19 years ago

#1586: Post by Jeff »

I don't remember but probably without. I did bend my screen the first time I locked in the portafilter with my usual 17 g dose in that basket.

A well-fitting Normacore or even a manual tamper should be OK. I prefer flat-face tampers.

AT06
Posts: 9
Joined: 2 months ago

#1587: Post by AT06 »

matthewh133 wrote:Also, regarding milk steaming, I have been using this machine every day for a year now. I still can't get a perfect steaming "tear" sound. It's either a little too much of a violent ripping sound, or none at all. The issue is the angle of the steam wand in the milk, which is too steep. But, that can't be helped due to how short the wand is. Has anyone made an aftermarket steam wand for this thing or managed a way to perfect this and would be able to share?
Milk steaming is one of the big drawbacks of the Micra. I had a Gaggia Classic Pro before it, and could get consistently good milk texture for latte art about 80%+ of the time - because the steam was slow, but I could get a good angle and proper depth from the steam wand.

With the Micra the wand is much more powerful, but too short and far too steep as you say. Because of this, it's much less forgiving and a lot more difficult to get the correct vortex swirling. This is where the Linea Mini has it beat, and now using that it's night and day in ease of steaming.

Unfortunately the only solution for the Micra is trying lots of different sized milk pitchers and finding one that works with your usual quantity of milk. Or, wasting a lot of milk to compensate for the short steam wand.

But having now used the new Mini R, steaming just feels different - I'm sure the hole direction in the tip on the micra is different, even the steam knob and sound of the steam feels different on the Mini R.

espressoren
Posts: 471
Joined: 1 year ago

#1588: Post by espressoren »

If you're having trouble with the Micra steam being too powerful, some have had luck with a size zero tip. Slows things just enough to make steaming easy, not so much that it becomes slow like a Breville.

Pigeontree
Posts: 70
Joined: 7 months ago

#1589: Post by Pigeontree »

matthewh133 wrote:I'm looking for some insight on workflow. The only method I've got a consistently decent pull on my micra is with a 17g dose, while using a puck screen. The interesting thing is that I can't tighten the portafilter all the way due to the protruding screw, and over time this has left a gradual slope in the middle of my puck screen. Yet, if I remove the puck screen, or try a different dose size, I get wildly inconsistent pulls and often spraying, or just no liquid coming through at all.

I'm interested in everyone else's workflows, dose sizes, etc. I'm using the stock convex tamper and 17g basket.

Also, regarding milk steaming, I have been using this machine every day for a year now. I still can't get a perfect steaming "tear" sound. It's either a little too much of a violent ripping sound, or none at all. The issue is the angle of the steam wand in the milk, which is too steep. But, that can't be helped due to how short the wand is. Has anyone made an aftermarket steam wand for this thing or managed a way to perfect this and would be able to share?

Finally, with the stock tamper, I get a ring of coffee grinds above the tamped puck. Whenever I see these aesthetic coffee videos, everyone's tamped surface is always so smooth, but whenever I tamp, no matter what I do (push hard/push not as hard), I'm always left with some loose grinds on top of the puck and a ring around the edges. Again, is this normal, and any tips to "fix" this?
Puck screen - the only thing that has 100% solved my issue with the screw causing indents in my puck is using these ulra thin puck screens from Sworks. They're a life saver! They keep the group head clean and eliminate the screw from being an issue (so long as you don't over-dose).

Milk steaming - I always refer people to this technique mentioned in post #4 from Jake_G, it's a life saver and works amazingly once you get the hang of it. I have played around with steam power settings 1-3 and though I started off practicing with 1 & 2, I found that bumping up to 3 really did make for the best milk texture. I recently upgraded to a slayer tip with smaller holes and it takes slightly longer to steam now, but it's far more controlled (I'm talking about the difference of ~12 seconds total instead of ~10).

In your other post you asked what the issue is with the stock tamper, then again referenced the ring of grounds it leaves. It's not fit flush to the edges of the basket, that's what's causing the issue of having a ring of grounds. Using a 58.55mm tamper will fill out the total width of the basket, leaving no grounds un-tamped. With the Sworks screen mentioned above, you won't have to worry about the screw, so the convex tamper is totally unnecessary.

I use a 17-19g Pullman basket and a Pullman Big Step tamper, it works great with an 18g dose and the tamp to basket fit is dreamy. You should find a similar tamping experience with any decent quality 58.55mm tamper and precision baskets from Pullman, VST or IMS.

espressoren
Posts: 471
Joined: 1 year ago

#1590: Post by espressoren »

What's the issue people are having with the screw?