La Marzocco Linea Micra - Page 148

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
majorusa

#1471: Post by majorusa »

My LML Micra arrived today. It replaced a heavily modified Gaggia Classic Pro. After the unboxing, first start and firmware update, the first espresso shot was a big failure. Though I thought that I locked in the portafilter, the machine proved me wrong. The water gushed outside the portafilter spaying muddy water mixed with coffee all over the kitchen. This happened immediately after my wife finished cleaning the kitchen so you can imagine what type of look I received.
The Gaggia had a silicone gasket and I never had to use so much force the LM is requiring to get a seal. I felt like the LM gasket was made of steel. The second shot managed to flow through the portafilter and it was good, still needs dialing. But in order to get it to do this I applied a lot of torque to the portafilter handle. You need strong arms for this machine.
I will call the local dealer to find out if there is a silicone gasket replacement for this machine that does not void warranty.

kitt

#1472: Post by kitt »

Yes, a few people have reported problems with stock group seal. First thing to check is your dose as the shower screen is low. Load and tamp your normal dose, lock p/f into group and remove to see if screw has left a mark. I was surprised how low i had to dose to not disturb the puck . This can in turn lead to leaking around group seal
I enquired with LM here in Australia, there is no Factory silicon group seal for Micra, but in USA, LM are recommending the H3007 Silicon seal from other LM machines . It fits, but p/f will lock in further to left... LM here in Australia went as far to tell me if i fitted the H3007, i may void my warranty should damage occur to group

espressoren

#1473: Post by espressoren »

Yeah the portafilter doesn't easily turn to 6 o'clock on this machine, but it shouldn't be spraying everywhere even if it's not cinched down completely. I wonder if you missed latching an ear or as mentioned above, the puck was contacting the screen before the basket touched the seal.

jordanborth

#1474: Post by jordanborth »

majorusa wrote:[...] the first espresso shot was a big failure. Though I thought that I locked in the portafilter, the machine proved me wrong. The water gushed outside the portafilter spaying muddy water mixed with coffee all over the kitchen.
Yep, same thing happened to me :lol: In my experience the gasket ended up breaking in pretty quickly. Probably around shot 10 was when I was able to let up on the elbow grease.

Enjoy your machine!
Less, but better.

majorusa

#1475: Post by majorusa »

kitt wrote:Yes, a few people have reported problems with stock group seal. First thing to check is your dose as the shower screen is low
My dose was 17 grams of coffee in a VST 18g basket. So far looks that the portafilter will never lock at 6 o'clock but I feel somehow that the force needed to lock it in is decreasing.

vkennedy
Supporter ♡

#1476: Post by vkennedy »

You could try placing a dime on your tamped puck. You just need to put it in and out of the group head. If the dime compresses into the puck, you have overfilled it.

elpolymath

#1477: Post by elpolymath »

I just got my Micra yesterday and did get some leaking out of the portafilter at first. It really takes a lot of force to turn the portafilter, can't wait to see how my girlfriend will handle it tomorrow morning! lol..

JayBeck

#1478: Post by JayBeck replying to elpolymath »

When did you place your order? I ordered about 2.5 weeks ago and was told around 3 weeks.

elpolymath

#1479: Post by elpolymath »

JayBeck wrote:When did you place your order? I ordered about 2.5 weeks ago and was told around 3 weeks.
I ordered end of November. If it's been 2.5 weeks and you haven't received shipped e-mail, I'd call or e-mail them at home.usa@lamarzocco.com and ask for the status.

elpolymath

#1480: Post by elpolymath »

Did anyone get their Micra with visible scratches? When I opened mine, I noticed deep scratches on the back of the drip tray cover as well as surface scratches on the front top panel. I emailed La Marzocco Home and they will send front top black cover, but are dismissing the drip tray cover ones.

" We can not replace the drip tray, as those markings are normal as it's a contact spot between the grate and the front frame."

This seems like an unacceptable answer to me. What do you guys think?