La Marzocco Linea Micra - Page 146

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kitt

#1451: Post by kitt »

It should be noted there technically is no silicon version for the micra. Whilst the orange H3007 LM group seal and the cafelat silicon LM seal will fit, they are both noticeably thicker. There have been a few reports of people having problems with G.S leaking, me included, but LM home here in Australia went as far to say if i fitted the silicon seal, i could void my warranty.... When i pointed out the LM home USA had recommended the h3007 to customers in USA , they again stressed that that seal is not intended for the Micra. It does fit, but your p/f will lock in further to the left.
I do find it odd that LM designed a group to take a similar seal to all their other machines, but then made it thinner, so that silicon versions already on the market will not fit the Micra . No listing i have seen for the H3007 seal lists it as Micra suitable

Jake_G
Team HB

#1452: Post by Jake_G »

The reason for the thinner seal is that the lugs on the Micra convertible portafilter are thicker than traditional LM portafilters.

Dosing 18g in the 17g basket could be enough to prevent the portfilter from fully locking in, depending on the density of the coffee.

Users who have switched to aftermarket portafilters have discovered that the silicone seals (Cafelat or LM) move the lock in position further to the left. This is not ideal with the stock PF, but very nearly necessary with the Weber Buck.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

espressoren

#1453: Post by espressoren »

My guess is that they intended for the portafilter to lock at 7:00 to give more working room for use of the wand. Hence the PF design. Even some of their own marketing material shows a position short of 6:00.

https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/welcome- ... lifestyle/

However I think many people are finding the "short swing" confusing and displeasing aesthetically.

I have a silicone seal and while I think it would measure thicker with calipers, I laid it next to the rubber one and the difference was nearly imperceptible. It didn't change much at all about the experience of seating the portafilter, but I guess should last longer.

Pigeontree

#1454: Post by Pigeontree »

Fwiw, I replaced the portafilter instantly with a standard LM portafilter and it locks at about 5. I haven't changed the gasket yet but I wonder if I did if it would then lock at 6 and kind of balance out? I have a cafelat blue silicone in my drawer waiting to be used.

soojineee

#1455: Post by soojineee »

espressoren wrote:I have a silicone seal and while I think it would measure thicker with calipers, I laid it next to the rubber one and the difference was nearly imperceptible. It didn't change much at all about the experience of seating the portafilter, but I guess should last longer.
Which silicone gasket are you using? The orange LM?

kitt

#1456: Post by kitt »

Pic showing difference between LM orange silicon, and stock LM Micra seal;

The silicon ones make the Micra p/f lock in way to the left, it didn't feel like enough lock in for me, but is fine with other LM portafilter, or most E61 p/f as well

espressoren

#1457: Post by espressoren »

I have both the blue (Cafelat?) and the orange silicone (official). They are identical if you ask me, they both caliper to 6.20mm thickness, but I have seen some say they think one or the other works better. The stock black one measures 5.88mm on my caliper, the difference is only barely perceptible visually and given the flexible nature it's hard to be super accurate with the caliper. It's easy to see with close up shots though.

I didn't find any of these three to have a huge difference in lock angle, they're all pretty hard to reach 6:00 if you just have to, but they all will give a good seal and work.

soojineee

#1458: Post by soojineee »

Thank you for the pictures, it's a really good comparison.

I will go with the Cafelat gasket and see how it turns out.

SFWest

#1459: Post by SFWest »

I just got my Linea Micra yesterday and have auto standby at 20 min. Today (and yesterday) I swear the machine went into standby while I was pulling my shot. Has anybody experienced this?

Ben Z.

#1460: Post by Ben Z. »

The blue cafelat gasket was better than the stock one immediately, and seems perfect after about a week. The stock one required way more effort than I felt comfortable with to avoid leaks. The machine flexed a lot.