La Marzocco Linea Micra - Page 142

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Pigeontree
Posts: 55
Joined: 5 months ago

#1411: Post by Pigeontree »

Picture for attention!




Now the question:

I've read up some on this topic but I'm still a little bit at a loss. Does anyone successfully use a puck screen (of any thickness) with their Linea Micra? I started off with a 17-19g Pullman basket, and an 18g dose, but my spent pucks have had large screw indents in them, and I naively tried to use a thicker puck screen, which of course dented badly.

I've just switched to a 19-21g Pullman basket, thinking it would allow for me to dose 18g without the screw interfering, but I am still getting a screw indent. I have some Sworks ultra-thin puck screens on the way and I am scared to use them for fear of denting, because if the puck is getting an indent, surely the screen will as well. Logic says the only answer is to continue down-dosing, but I wanted to ask before continuing down that road as I am already down-dosing my 19-21g basket.

Thanks for any help!

User avatar
baldheadracing
Team HB
Posts: 6178
Joined: 9 years ago

#1412: Post by baldheadracing »

The thickness of the puck depends on coffee and roast level. As a rule of thumb, the lighter the roast, the thicker the puck - or maybe I have that backwards :wink:.

(There is a movement towards setting dose by puck thickness and then dosing by the resulting mass, but I digress.)

FWIW, when I had the Micra for review I usually dosed 14g-15g in a VST-15 basket (nominally 15g) - always with a thin puck screen. I was using coffee-sensor and SWorks magnetic screens. There are little marks/indents - 3mm diameter - in the center of the screens, which are visible but I can't feel them.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Pigeontree
Posts: 55
Joined: 5 months ago

#1413: Post by Pigeontree »

Thanks for the input. I am aware of the roast to puck thickness correlation, I'm currently using ~medium roasts. To my eye the puck sits at a comfortable level in the basket, and the screw has not left an imprint on the dry puck in any of the scenarios or baskets I've tested, it's only the wet puck! I guess I'll either continue to down-dose until there is no indent, or just live with the fact that my puck screens may end up with some slight indentations as you mentioned.

User avatar
baldheadracing
Team HB
Posts: 6178
Joined: 9 years ago

#1414: Post by baldheadracing replying to Pigeontree »

A screw head indent on the wet puck is due to the strong action of the three-way valve on the Micra (and commercial machines in general). The puck gets sucked upwards into the shower screen (and screw head) at the end of a shot, and then the puck drops back down into the basket. This then makes the puck easier to knock out.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Pigeontree
Posts: 55
Joined: 5 months ago

#1415: Post by Pigeontree »

In that case the screw indent on the puck seems totally unavoidable. Still worth using a screen in that case or will the slight inward slope of the dent cause a weird flow through the puck?

User avatar
baldheadracing
Team HB
Posts: 6178
Joined: 9 years ago

#1416: Post by baldheadracing replying to Pigeontree »

I don't think that it will cause a wierd flow. Like I said, I can't feel the impressions on my screens.

(If you overdose to the point of the puck+screen being pushed into the screw during extraction, then you'll definitely get a fold in the screen - but one can just bend a thin screen back into shape ...)

As for worth it, it depends on how long you want to flush the group before or after every shot, how often you want to clean the group gasket, how often you want to drop the shower screen for cleaning, and how often you want to chemically backflush the machine. As far as I can tell, reducing flushing length and increasing cleaning intervals are the only advantages of using a thin puck screen on a Micra.

YMMV
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

soojineee
Posts: 45
Joined: 9 months ago

#1417: Post by soojineee »

Hello,

Finally got my Micra and I'm very excited to use it.

I just had a few questions before I begin playing with the machine:
  • 1. Pre-brewing settings per this thread is said to be from 2 seconds on and 8 to 10 seconds off. Are there any other settings that I should adjust after turning on the machine for the first time? (Edit: I am not plumbing my Micra.)

    2. What is the red clip thing inside the drip tray? Do I need to remove that to clean the drip tray?

    3. How do I remove the reservoir completely? Do I just unplug the tubing or do I unplug the small clip? I'm scared that the tube will disconnect from the inside.

    4. When I used to be a barista, we used to clean the steam wand with Rinza--how are you guys/gals cleaning the steam wand? Is Rinza necessary in your opinion? If I made one milk drink everyday, how should I be cleaning the steam wand? Of course I will be purging and wiping the wand after each use.

    5. I want to purchase a new tamper, can anyone confirm which tamper size I should be getting? It should be 58.5mm, correct? I will be using the 17g baskets that came with the machine.

    6. Which size espresso paper filter should I be purchasing for the 17g basket/portafilter that came with the machine?

    7. Any other tips/tweaks will be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Pigeontree
Posts: 55
Joined: 5 months ago

#1418: Post by Pigeontree »

soojineee wrote:Hello,

Finally got my Micra and I'm very excited to use it.

I just had a few questions before I begin playing with the machine:
  • 1. Pre-brewing settings per this thread is said to be from 2 seconds on and 8 to 10 seconds off. Are there any other settings that I should adjust after turning on the machine for the first time? (Edit: I am not plumbing my Micra.)

    2. What is the red clip thing inside the drip tray? Do I need to remove that to clean the drip tray?

    3. How do I remove the reservoir completely? Do I just unplug the tubing or do I unplug the small clip? I'm scared that the tube will disconnect from the inside.

    4. When I used to be a barista, we used to clean the steam wand with Rinza--how are you guys/gals cleaning the steam wand? Is Rinza necessary in your opinion? If I made one milk drink everyday, how should I be cleaning the steam wand? Of course I will be purging and wiping the wand after each use.

    5. I want to purchase a new tamper, can anyone confirm which tamper size I should be getting? It should be 58.5mm, correct? I will be using the 17g baskets that came with the machine.

    6. Which size espresso paper filter should I be purchasing for the 17g basket/portafilter that came with the machine?

    7. Any other tips/tweaks will be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.
Congrats!

1. I never bothered with the pre-brew, so can't help you. It may be worth investing some time playing with, but I would just start using it without this turned on.

2. This will float when the drip tray is full, it's just an indicator to help ensure you don't let the drip tray overflow.

3. The tube plug will just pull out from the reservoir. It's in there pretty tight, and you might feel like you're doing something wrong, but just pull it out, then you can remove the entire reservoir. *edit, just to be clear, the tube doesn't remove on its own, it is attached to a little plug or clip as you referred to it.

4. So long as you wipe and purge every time you use the steam wand, you shouldn't have to do anything else to keep it clean.

5. I haven't bothered with the stock baskets, so I can't help there. Using a Pullman basket with a 58.55 Pullman Bigstep, the fit is dreamy.

6. Can't help.

7. Turn the steam power down until you get used to it, even at level 1 it is very strong. Check out this thread for steaming advice, post #4 is particularly helpful in regards to the steam wand positioning
Help! Steaming milk on La Marzocco Linea Micra

Pigeontree
Posts: 55
Joined: 5 months ago

#1419: Post by Pigeontree »

baldheadracing wrote:I don't think that it will cause a wierd flow. Like I said, I can't feel the impressions on my screens.

(If you overdose to the point of the puck+screen being pushed into the screw during extraction, then you'll definitely get a fold in the screen - but one can just bend a thin screen back into shape ...)

As for worth it, it depends on how long you want to flush the group before or after every shot, how often you want to clean the group gasket, how often you want to drop the shower screen for cleaning, and how often you want to chemically backflush the machine. As far as I can tell, reducing flushing length and increasing cleaning intervals are the only advantages of using a thin puck screen on a Micra.

YMMV
Circling back to this, I had a Sworks puck screen delivered today and after a couple of shots, the screen remains completely undamaged! Hurray!

soojineee
Posts: 45
Joined: 9 months ago

#1420: Post by soojineee »

Pigeontree wrote: 3. The tube plug will just pull out from the reservoir. It's in there pretty tight, and you might feel like you're doing something wrong, but just pull it out, then you can remove the entire reservoir. *edit, just to be clear, the tube doesn't remove on its own, it is attached to a little plug or clip as you referred to it.

7. Turn the steam power down until you get used to it, even at level 1 it is very strong. Check out this thread for steaming advice, post #4 is particularly helpful in regards to the steam wand positioning
Help! Steaming milk on La Marzocco Linea Micra
Thank you for your detailed response! I pulled the the tube out with some force and got it out without issues.

I'll check out the link provided as well, thanks again.

I'm assuming I can turn the steam power down via app? Also, how long can I or should I keep the water in the reservoir?