La Marzocco Linea Micra - Page 115

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jordanborth

#1141: Post by jordanborth »

First time poster, long time lurker. Thanks for the replies
Less, but better.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1142: Post by baldheadracing »

Fitz454 wrote:... I did find the La Marzocco portafilter ears are thicker and have a steeper ramp when compared with my others which makes sense with the "issue". I never understood the 6 o'clock thing some people obsess over. ...
For lack of a better term, this is all part of the "La Marzocco-ness" feel of the machine. One could probably lock a portafilter into the group blindfolded and know that it is a La Marzocco machine from the feel alone.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

matthewh133

#1143: Post by matthewh133 »

I ordered a white Micra a couple of weeks ago. I read something recently about a puck screen not fitting like normal with the Micra due to the group size? In this case, which size IMS precision basket should I get if I'm typically pulling 18g double shots with a puck screen?

aspenextreme03

#1144: Post by aspenextreme03 »

For puck screen typical thing is dose 2 g less than basket if you are doing a screen.

matthewh133

#1145: Post by matthewh133 replying to aspenextreme03 »

Roger that, thank you.

I saw a 58mm tamper comes with the Micra, but I see people recommending a 58.5. Is this something truly worth investing in? And what about water? I currently have a regular old Brita filter. The La Marzocco website suggests using a Soma filter (I live in Seattle so water is already quite good). I've also seen people mention using a Zerowater filter then adding Third Wave to add back helpful minerals, though La Marzocco specifically says not to use Zerowater on their website (obviously they aren't factoring in the Third Wave part).

Jimmy_The_Saint

#1146: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint »

matthewh133 wrote:
I saw a 58mm tamper comes with the Micra, but I see people recommending a 58.5. Is this something truly worth investing in?
I have a Mini but I think the included tamper is the same - 58mm, convex base, metal handle.

I haven't worked out why but I find the included tamper brilliant. It seems too small for the basket by about 1mm and I'd never used a convex tamper but the results are always excellent. Somehow more forgiving.

I've wondered if they include a convex tamper to help include slight headroom around the dispersion screw.

Only thing is the handle is about as uncomfortable as you could get. I'd like to put a different handle on mine but I haven't worked out if the base is removable.

espressoren

#1147: Post by espressoren »

I like the convex tamper as well, makes me wish it were available in other brands of tamper, like a self leveling one. My theory is it helps with donut extractions and pushes the coffee out against the walls just a bit more firmly.

aspenextreme03

#1148: Post by aspenextreme03 »

58.3mm tamper actually based on what CS told me water you can just do 1 gallon of distilled and 0.39g of potassium bicarb. Mix and you are set.

Fwiw I got the convex tamper which came with the machine and also got the flat model s tamper.

jordanborth

#1149: Post by jordanborth »

Just received an update notice this morning for firmware version 1.17. This will be my first time updating. Is there any reason to hold off or is it recommended to go for it?
Less, but better.

KKUK

#1150: Post by KKUK »

I just went for it. Machine hasn't exploded (yet) but I haven't tried to brew with it.