La Marzocco Linea Micra owner reviews - Page 71

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Myrr

#701: Post by Myrr »

Curious about this article - https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/?eventDi ... ribe_venue "the mystery of the hissing vacuum breaker"

Has anyone replaced this on their Micra? Does it truly have a "lifespan of about 6- 18 months" ? Just curious how most users approach this - either have the machine serviced in home every time, or if one has some basic skills, just replace it themselves.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#702: Post by baldheadracing replying to Myrr »

The Micra has a conventional breaker; so ignore the SMA discussion in the linked thread, but the rest is applicable: La Marzocco Linea Mini sprung a leak.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Myrr

#703: Post by Myrr »

Interesting - TY for the reply. Curious though, it looks like the MIcra has the SMA breaker:

https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/wp-conte ... g_V1.0.pdf

Page 27 line 9 - 9 B.2.029 VALVE VACUUM BREAKER SMA G1/4 S/S VALVOLA ANTIDEPRESSIONE SMA G1/4 INOX

baldheadracing
Team HB

#704: Post by baldheadracing replying to Myrr »

Oops sorry, today I'm making mistakes all over the place :oops:.

So the thread I linked to applies to you entirely.

If I had a Micra - or a Mini - I would pick up an old-style one and keep it around until the SMA broke. Once the old-style one went in, once or twice a year I would take apart the breaker, clean it, and lube the o-ring. It'll last a long time with maintenance.

Alternatively, pick up a SMA one now as a spare. I wouldn't replace it as part of annual maintenance, but instead wait until failure to swap it out.

If you don't do your own maintenance/repairs, then it would seem best to get the breaker replaced as part of annual maintenance - whether you take the machine to a shop, or have a tech do an annual house call.

YMMV.

Myrr

#705: Post by Myrr »

Thank you for the detailed reply! Appreciated. I'm all about doing my own maintenance. :D

A bonus question perhaps I need to move to a different thread - not sure - is it normal to have coffee grounds behind the the shower screen? I've noticed this when dropping the screen for soaking after a weekly backflush. It's not a ton, but enough to make me wonder. This is only my 3rd week with the machine.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#706: Post by baldheadracing replying to Myrr »

Yes. I backflush two or three times at the end of each session - without detergent. This seems to keep things cleaner.

If you'd rather have less coffee solids up on top of the shower screen, then some people use a puck screen. After trying a few different types, I use ones from Sheldon Wong (17-4 stainless version) https://sworksdesign.com/Puck-Disc-Screen-p504672678 (I have no affiliation.) These screens reduce the amount of coffee solids sucked up into the group at the end of each shot. The 17-4 stainless works with magnets so the screens are easy to remove after a shot (with a magnet - I stuck a magnet on the end of a portafilter brush). These puck screens aren't at all necessary with a Micra for what they were originally designed to do, which was to assure puck integrity with some lever machines. I just got used to using them on lever machines and use them on pump machines as I like being able to keep things a little cleaner without using detergent.

spyderx

#707: Post by spyderx »

Has anyone had an issue of the time/date being "off" on their Micra?

Mine seems to be shifted 1 day later in the week. For example, on Friday AM, it'll turn on with the time set for Saturday (1 hour later). Also, if you look at the brew reports they are shifted 1 day. I don't see anywhere to set the time or day...

Thoughts? I've had this machine for about 10mo and it's been like this since i got it.

Pigeontree

#708: Post by Pigeontree »

I can't say that I've ever had less buyer's remorse with a single purchase in my entire life! This machine is an absolute dream come true. I had been using a Delonghi Dedica since 2018, so the upgrade could not have been more substantial. Everything about the work flow is improved, the shots are tastier and FAR more consistent, I can't believe that I waited this long to upgrade. I tested the temp in the cup as I pulled water through the portafilter, between the two machines, and the Dedica read between 170-180 with huge fluctuations, while the Micra reads between 188-190, ultra stable and so much hotter! Maybe now I will be able to develop an affinity for lighter roasts? They were just so unpalatable with the Dedica, presumably because the temp was not hot enough to properly extract them.

Steaming milk has been a learning curve, but my god that steam power! The first time I turned it on it scared the crap out of my dogs two rooms away. I have the steam currently set to 1 which is still 10x more powerful than the Dedica, and am finally beginning to get some good milk texture with lots of practice. From start to finish I find that my milk is steaming in around 10 seconds, which is 20-30 seconds faster than I am used to.

I'm obsessed and look forward to my ritual(s) every single day. I have already ordered a custom wood set from Wowa and a dotshot timer which I am very excited to install. I'll be sure to share some pics when it's complete. It's hard to imagine this thing looking any better than it does already, but it will.

Pythagorean

#709: Post by Pythagorean »

I see the same behavior in the app - off by a day. Not sure what time zone the machine thinks it's in...

coffeeyoutoo

#710: Post by coffeeyoutoo »

Ldstern wrote:Has anyone measured the Micra's gm/sec flow rate with the portafilter removed. I'm curious what the base flow rate is. Thanks.

0.6mm flowrestrictor on 3way solenoid velve ruby seat