La Marzocco Linea Micra owner reviews - Page 6

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
NewCoffeeGuy1

#51: Post by NewCoffeeGuy1 »

From what I've seen, the attachment part of the included PF adds to the height. If you had a 'regular' bottomless PF you'd probably pick up another...1/4" maybe? Maybe someone with the included PF can measure that bit. 1/4" may not sound like much (obligatory ask my wife joke), but given the tolerances we're talking about here it may make a larger functional difference than anticipated.

Re: the burning smell...this is a disturbing trend. Mine is due to arrive today but as it's meant to be a Christmas gift I'll have to negotiate with the boss as to whether to open to check for this, or leave it. In a way the latter may be better as it'll give all of you (and LM USA...) a few more weeks to get that sorted.

mctrials23

#52: Post by mctrials23 »

I would check for the smell as I would think getting someone out to look at it over christmas will be hard to impossible and you could potentially get it fixed before you should "have it".

Downside is that you might struggle to put it away again after having a test....

NewCoffeeGuy1

#53: Post by NewCoffeeGuy1 »

The struggle is real!

I agree getting someone out from 12/25 - 1/2 is likely to be impossible.

Could you speak with my wife for me please? :D

mctrials23

#54: Post by mctrials23 »

Do you take me for an idiot :shock:

drH

#55: Post by drH »

Is there any indication of what could cause the smell? Maybe glue in the insulation or some excess grease on the outside parts of the coils that wrap the boiler?

rmag

#56: Post by rmag replying to drH »

I think i've pinpointed my smell as coming from the bundle of wires that feeds into a plastic plug that is screwed into another plastic piece above the grouphead. I didnt see any signs of melting, but I didnt open up the plastic piece to see what was going on with the wires inside.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by pcofftenyo »

HB wrote:To clear up some confusion: Pressurestats are used to control the steam boiler temperature. I think you mean the rotary pump bypass valve. The Micra doesn't have a pressurestat -- it uses a PID type controller for the brew and steam temperature.
Having come from a single boiler/vibe pump machine to the Linea and limited discussion on it at that point in time, its good to know about the rotary pump bypass valve adjustability for brew pressure.

And thanks for the clarification regarding machine temp system differences. I'm speculating that might be a significant one - The PID probably narrows temp band swings.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#58: Post by cannonfodder »

Everything has a 'new smell' Cars, computers, dryers, water heaters, houses, etc...

Manufacturing residue, off gassing of electronic components, etc... as the equipment breaks in.

It is a non issue. Every espresso machine and grinder I have ever owned has had a 'new electronic/electrical/manufacturing' smell that goes away in a week or so.
Dave Stephens

rmag

#59: Post by rmag replying to cannonfodder »

that filled up multiple rooms of your house? I've never had an espresso machine do that

cannonfodder
Team HB

#60: Post by cannonfodder »

Yes.

Unless you have blue smoke rolling out the top, it is a pretty normal thing. These are also fresh off the floor so they have had no warehouse time to slowly out gas. Personally would not worry about it for a week. Now if there is blue smoke rolling out, then you have a problem.
Dave Stephens