La Marzocco Linea Micra owner reviews - Page 45

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cinders

#441: Post by cinders »

Hello Everyone, from Koh Samui, Thailand,

I started down the coffee rabbit hole a few months ago with a Breville Smart-Grinder & Bambino, then decided to up my game...
This is my current setup and I love it. I have the Micra and a Eureka XL.
My favourite beans come from Chiang Mai in the North of the country, I like medium/dark roasts.

All the best,
Matt.

★ Helpful

YoshiKenji

#442: Post by YoshiKenji »

Got the shipping email today. Order was placed 12/12 for a Black Micra. Should arrive next week!

BrianG

#443: Post by BrianG »

AGramata wrote:My E61 knows his days are numbered at this point =)
:lol: My E61 had the same feeling. It was unceremoniously moved to the basement floor on the day the Micra arrived, now waiting to be cleaned up and offered for sale

Mochajoe

#444: Post by Mochajoe replying to BrianG »

Not sure what to do with my E61 machine.

Mochajoe

#445: Post by Mochajoe »

cinders wrote:Hello Everyone, from Koh Samui, Thailand,

I started down the coffee rabbit hole a few months ago with a Breville Smart-Grinder & Bambino, then decided to up my game...
This is my current setup and I love it. I have the Micra and a Eureka XL.
All the best,
Matt.

Great looking setup Matt, I have almost the same configuration.

Ben Z.

#446: Post by Ben Z. »

-super-hans wrote:oh man, that Blue is beautiful.
It's glossier than I expected, but I like it better like this.

Regarding smells. After an hour or so, mine really started off-gassing. I'm 90% sure it's the paint - very solventy and strongest from the painted panel right above the group. I removed the panel and the smell isn't from inside, I don't think. I'm going to leave it on in a ventilated room for a couple of days and I'm sure it will dissipate.

iploya

#447: Post by iploya »

Ben Z. wrote:Setting up an espresso station, but it's temporarily in the kitchen.
How did you manage to secure that entire counter section for just coffee? Or you're saying it's all temporary?

Ben Z.

#448: Post by Ben Z. replying to iploya »

The Bunns live there. Everything else is moving.

Ben Z.

#449: Post by Ben Z. »

So, espresso is easy now.

My old routine was grind (thwacking doser), dose, and level by eye, simple tamp, guess on temp, pull.

Today I tried implementing all the new techniques/best practices.

I weighed 18g

Ground into cup using niche

Poured into portafilter using dosing funnel

Wdt

Self-leveling tamper

Pulled the shot.

First one was way too fast and looked like too much coffee. Adjusted down 2.5 notches, used 17 grams. Absolutely picture perfect extraction. Like, advertisement worthy. Taste was awesome.

Not sure how much was technique vs equipment, but it just worked.

The fumes are about half as strong as yesterday. Hopefully by the end of week it will be good.

Super happy so far.

iploya

#450: Post by iploya »

Received mine yesterday. Same day I came down sick :cry: so have been resting and not been able to fully put it through its paces yet.

Initial impressions, coming from the Breville Dual Boiler:

- For the record, exactly 9 weeks order-to-door.
- NO smell! Not even a slight one. Whatever issue some have reported, perhaps they figured it out in subsequent production runs.
- Build quality seems superb, better appreciated in person. Very heavy.
- Found myself looking for the shot timer. But of course there isn't one. That's OK, I just adjusted my scale settings to show.
- Steam power is impressive and will take time for me to learn to tame it. Like switching from a mini-bike to a sport bike and being startled the first time you twist the throttle. I dropped it down to "2" but still.
- The stainless steel tamper is pretty to look at but I don't know why they chose a convex profile. The only shot I got spraying on was with this tamper (but maybe coincidence). I will use my BDB tamper until I get a suitable replacement with a flat profile.
- The steam wand is nice. The short height will take getting used to, as with my usual pitcher and usual milk level the tip will barely reach the surface of the milk it seems. I'll have to experiment. On the other hand, the wand projects nice and far toward the user before it bends downward, so that gives you lots of lateral clearance from the drip tray.
- The operation is smooth and quiet. Very nice.
- So far have not been able to dial in taste as well as I can on the BDB (also usually run at 9 bar straight or just a short PI). But I've used that machine for 5+ years and I guess that dialing in on a different machine is going to take practice even when using the same grinder.