La Marzocco Linea Micra owner reviews - Page 12

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jake_G
Team HB

#111: Post by Jake_G »

Zoobee wrote:Out of curiosity, how did you even find this out? Did you let the water level get low enough on the reservoir to see for yourself? Did someone tell you about it? I'm so bummed that my Mini disabled the sensor! The results I can get from preinfusion aren't possible with "pre-brew", it just seems so ridiculous for them to act like I shouldn't be using it.
I should have posted quotes for reference, but I believe it was actually your posts where I found out about it!

It makes sense for LM to take the firmware route once they had the ability. Prior to the connected machines, the jumper was the only way to bypass the reservoir, aside from using a dip switch on the old control board - which I don't think they did.

On the GS/3, it's all controlled by the menus on the multi-display, so as soon as you select plumbed in, the reservoir sensor is disabled.

Thus, as soon as they had the app for the Mini (and the Micra) it makes sense to eliminate the need for the jumper plate and handle it with the firmware. I'm surprised -pleasantly so- that they didn't take this approach on the Micra.
LMWDP #704

CoffeeManiac_

#112: Post by CoffeeManiac_ »

Congrats! When did you order it? And from which company?
I'm curious, so I could estimate when to expect mine.

Zoobee

#113: Post by Zoobee »

Jake_G wrote:I should have posted quotes for reference, but I believe it was actually your posts where I found out about it!

It makes sense for LM to take the firmware route once they had the ability. Prior to the connected machines, the jumper was the only way to bypass the reservoir, aside from using a dip switch on the old control board - which I don't think they did.

On the GS/3, it's all controlled by the menus on the multi-display, so as soon as you select plumbed in, the reservoir sensor is disabled.

Thus, as soon as they had the app for the Mini (and the Micra) it makes sense to eliminate the need for the jumper plate and handle it with the firmware. I'm surprised -pleasantly so- that they didn't take this approach on the Micra.
But my question was-- how can you tell that the warning isn't disabled on the micra? There's no setting for it in the app. Nothing told me that it was disabled on the Mini, I just read it here and then the LM tech confirmed.

PaulTheRoaster

#114: Post by PaulTheRoaster replying to Zoobee »

There is a warning in the app, but if you don't jumper the water level sensor, the machine won't operate. The blue water light will be on steady (vs flashing in reservoir mode if out of water) and the red power light won't light at all. The app will show:

Zoobee

#115: Post by Zoobee replying to PaulTheRoaster »

I swear I'm not thick, but I've read your comment like ten times and i still don't understand. :D I'm trying to figure out how it's different than on the Mini. I'm fairly certain that if I don't jumper the water level sensor, my machine also won't operate. And when I "agree" to plumb in for preinfusion on the app, the blue water light goes steady like you describe. I haven't tried letting it get low enough to where it would normally flash (i.e. the low-water warning) and cut off to protect the machine, so I don't know how this behavior is different between the two machines. Are you saying that alert on the app is how you know you're out of water on the Micra? Do you still get the flashing light and pump cut off?

PaulTheRoaster

#116: Post by PaulTheRoaster replying to Zoobee »

If you run out of water in the tank and haven't bypassed the sensor, the machine protects itself whether or not you're in plumbed-in mode (no power to heating elements, pump, or solenoids). In plumbed-in mode, the blue light won't flash, though. (Yet the app will show the no-water icon.)

Jake_G
Team HB

#117: Post by Jake_G »

Sorry,

I must have misunderstood.

If you tell the machine you are plumbed and you remove the reservoir, it seems that you have to jumper the sensor to operate the machine. This has been confirmed by the user with the Micra, who had an inoperable machine because the reservoir was not detected and the jumper was not installed.

Now, if you leave the reservoir in place, it seems that all should be well on both machines. If your mini goes inop with the reservoir slid out to refill, then you know it will protect you if you run it out of water, as there is only one sensor - and it detects water in the reservoir, not the reservoir itself.

The question that remains is how the machine handles the transition from a happy water sensor to an unhappy one when the machine thinks it is plumbed. Does it let your shot finish as it does when it expects a reservoir? Or does it simply fault out as soon as the contacts fail to detect continuity? That would be annoying...

But totally safe.

Anyway, I read your post saying the low water warning was disabled and must have misunderstood what you meant. You are referring to the warning light, no? So we have your account that the warning light goes away, and a second account that a Micra is inoperable with the reservoir removed. So, it sounds like I'll have a bit of clarification work to do when the Micra arrives.
LMWDP #704

Zoobee

#118: Post by Zoobee »

Jake_G wrote:Sorry,
Now, if you leave the reservoir in place, it seems that all should be well on both machines. If your mini goes inop with the reservoir slid out to refill, then you know it will protect you if you run it out of water, as there is only one sensor - and it detects water in the reservoir, not the reservoir itself.

The question that remains is how the machine handles the transition from a happy water sensor to an unhappy one when the machine thinks it is plumbed. Does it let your shot finish as it does when it expects a reservoir? Or does it simply fault out as soon as the contacts fail to detect continuity? That would be annoying...

But totally safe.

Anyway, I read your post saying the low water warning was disabled and must have misunderstood what you meant. You are referring to the warning light, no? So we have your account that the warning light goes away, and a second account that a Micra is inoperable with the reservoir removed. So, it sounds like I'll have a bit of clarification work to do when the Micra arrives.
Ok well wow- I hadn't even tried it for myself, simply taken the word of what I read here and my conversation with LM support. Everyone seemed to be saying at a minimum this:
Even though the preinfusion works fine off the reservoir after "agreeing" to the plumbed-in setting in the app, it is dangerous to do so because the low water warning/shutoff safeguard has been disabled.

I just tried sliding out the reservoir as you suggest and regardless of whether I had it set as plumbed-in or not, the machine was inoperable.

The blue light becomes solid, but the red light turns off. With the reservoir back in the red light goes back on and I can run the machine.

So it does not actually seem to be the case that using preinfusion with the reservoir can run the risk of having the machine run without water! I'm not sure why LM tech confirmed that except maybe this is all new with the app/firmware update and they just didn't know yet. (Or perhaps there are some differences depending on how the app functionality has been implemented between older machines and newer ones?)

Btw I'm pretty sure the machine has no way of knowing whether the reservoir is out or whether it's empty. The same one sensor that you mention is responsible for giving that signal, whether it's being connected by H20 or a metal jumper.

Now, as to whether you might run the risk of it running but then not shutting off mid-run if the water runs out, I just tested this by pulling out the reservoir after starting the shot. Without plumb-in enabled in the app, I get the flashing blue light. I've only run out of water mid-shot a couple times before, and there's a short period of time between onset of the flashing light and the machine cutting off. The machine doesn't necessarily let you finish your shot, it goes for a little bit and then stops even if you don't happen to be done yet. I'm not sure what this is based on, but I'm guessing it's just a set time? Anyway, the couple times it happened, I noticed that there was still water in the tank after it shut off- the metal connector is about 1/4" higher than the hose output, so presumably the machine actually had enough water to finish the shot but just timed out.

With the app set to "plumbed-in", when I try pulling out the reservoir mid-shot, there is no longer a flashing light. I didn't let it keep going, but I'm guessing it wouldn't stop and here you might run the risk of running out of water. BUT since there's actually probably enough water in the reservoir to finish a max 1 minute shot (the mini won't run over 60 seconds anyway) and the subsequent shot won't start, as discussed above, it doesn't seem as risky as I previously thought.

Jake_G
Team HB

#119: Post by Jake_G »

Thanks for doing that.

This is good news all around.
LMWDP #704

Zoobee

#120: Post by Zoobee replying to Jake_G »

Please let us know how it is with yours when it arrives. I'm not entirely confident in all my theories about how this all is working!