La Marzocco Linea Micra owner reviews - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PaulTheRoaster

#11: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

Mine came today. As with others, the drop-tag on the packaging was tripped but there seems to be no damage at all. The tamper and accessories are quite nice. I got 14g and 17g baskets and no water quality tester. Mine only had a slight smell that went away after 20 minutes.

Steaming milk is really easy on this machine, and I generally only make milk drinks once every few months. The espresso has fantastic body compared to my Europiccola mk I. Dialing in temperature with the app was quite easy. Picture is of my second shot - a nice sink shot.

The only switches on the machine are the brew switch and the power switch. Would be nice if the machine had push buttons to turn on and off the espresso and steam boilers.

Only other minor gripe is because the machine is so light, I find myself moving the whole machine locking in the portafilter. (The Europiccola has another handle to hold, and my other prior experience was on big commercial machines.) Probably just a problem with what's on the handle side of the portafilter.

(The giant bulk grinder is FS as soon as my Fellow Ode arrives - it looks ridiculous now.)

drummy

#12: Post by drummy »

Thanks for confirming PaulTheRoaster for the steam boiler control.
Wow that Micra looks so tiny beside your grinders...! Almost like a miniature!

Stratopeak

#13: Post by Stratopeak »

Some reasons to upgrade from Breville Oracle to Linea Micra.

Longevity: I've owned 3 Breville dual boilers since 2014. They are amazing machines and a great value. Breville also has great customer service and will repair/replace the machine at a reasonable cost. However, I'm hoping with the Linea, I won't have to get the machine repaired every 2.5 years.

Design: I really like the look of the La Marzocco Linea machines. I also think the capability of this machine is incredible given the size. It feels/looks smaller than the Oracle. Part of that has to due with the ability to remove the grinder and replace with a bigger steaming boiler.

Steaming: Probably the biggest reason to switch for me is the steaming power. The Breville can produce good and extremely consistent microfoam. However, it doesn't compare to the microfoam I've been able to produce on the Micra. With the Micra, I can make really silky paint like microfoam or very thick foam similar to Starbucks flat whites. However, I don't think it's good for a beginner. It's very strong and requires better technique. Definitely more prosumer machine than the Oracle.

Flow control. Seems great if you're roasting lighter roasts or want more control over the pull. For me, I spent years documenting all of variables and would have been ecstatic with a Descent or Lelit. Now, I just want to hit the easy button in the morning and have a high quality cappuccino using a medium roast bean. I'd rather have less variables to optimize.

I think this is a great machine for someone who doesn't want as much control over the process, wants a small form factor, and is interested in producing milk-based drinks.

PaulTheRoaster

#14: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

Two other nifty things:
  • The app automatically shows a shot timer while you're brewing
  • If the machine is in standby mode, toggling the brew switch turns it on, and the machine has a setting to go back to standby mode after x many minutes of idling

Stratopeak

#15: Post by Stratopeak »

On the app, it does seem to work on Bluetooth without Wifi. You can still control the machine, but won't be able to view shot stats or set auto-on. Otherwise, seems to allow you to control the machine temp and steam pressure.

Ben Z.

#16: Post by Ben Z. replying to Stratopeak »

Wow. That will pretty much eliminate one of the biggest complaints I've seen people post.

lagoon

#17: Post by lagoon »

Stratopeak wrote:On the app, it does seem to work on Bluetooth without Wifi. You can still control the machine, but won't be able to view shot stats or set auto-on. Otherwise, seems to allow you to control the machine temp and steam pressure.
Great info.

Could you post a screenshot of this when you get the chance?

coffeenewb56 (original poster)

#18: Post by coffeenewb56 (original poster) »

Here's a video I just took better demonstrating the height clearance with my setup. This machine is such a delight to use.

https://i.imgur.com/BeUNxSL.mp4

GDK

#19: Post by GDK »

PaulTheRoaster wrote: The only switches on the machine are the brew switch and the power switch. Would be nice if the machine had push buttons to turn on and off the espresso and steam boilers.
Would the app allow individual boiler control?

PaulTheRoaster

#20: Post by PaulTheRoaster replying to GDK »

Mostly. You can't turn on only the steam boiler with the brew boiler off, but you can turn both on or off or just the brew boiler.