La Marzocco Linea Micra auto standby stopped working

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
maoravni

#1: Post by maoravni »

I have a 2 weeks old Linea Micra. Latest firmware and all. Yesterday auto-standby stopped working. It's set at 30 minutes.
Has anybody else experience this?

safesurfer

#2: Post by safesurfer »

I only experienced auto standby not working when the Micra has been powered on in the morning without pulling a shot. It only works after the first shot.

espressoren

#3: Post by espressoren »

I posted about this a bit in the Mini thread, but it seems the new firmware makes you choose between scheduling and auto-standby. Not sure if this was OP's issue as this update was pushed recently, but the thread subject fits.

I'm not usually one to go so far as reach out to a company and complain, but this really messes with my workflow, so I sent some kind feedback to that effect. Maybe I'm the only one who used the features this way, but if anyone else is not liking the change I'd suggest registering the feedback as well.
Hi, I have a Micra and I love the machine. I just wanted to give some feedback and express my dissatisfaction with the new scheduling update.

I used to set my machine schedule to turn on between 8am and 12pm. Sometimes I would make coffee at 8:30, sometimes at 10:30, but when I was done I could rely on the auto-standby to turn off the machine for me. Now it seems that things have been changed such that auto-standby won't work at all during the schedule window.

Since there is no physical button to send the machine into standby, my options are:

1) Leave the machine on potentially for hours even though I'm done with it, and let the schedule turn it off.
2) Fumble with the app each and every day to put the machine into standby when I'm done
3) Disable the scheduling and turn it on via the app every morning so it is ready when I get to the kitchen. Then the standby feature works.

I think I understand why the change was made, I suspect people were confused as to how the scheduling and standby worked together. Now users have to pick one, which is simpler but also makes neither feature work quite right (for me at least).
Thanks for reading my rant :-)

Jake_G
Team HB

#4: Post by Jake_G »

What happens if you schedule a short window for the machine to be on?

Will it turn off automatically at the end, or will auto-standby work?

So, if you schedule the machine to turn on in the morning, and then off shortly thereafter, I'm guessing it will turn off.

But, assuming you make coffee at 8:30 every morning, what if you schedule it to turn off at 8:45, but have a 2 hour standby timer from the last brew. Will it stay running two hours after the last brew, or will it shut down at 8:45 regardless?

I have the micra on all day, as it isn't a very power-hungry machine. Both boilers are well-insulated and the volume of water to keep at temp is quite low. On the flip side, warm up time is also quite fast.

I liked the way it worked before, but I understand their decision to change it. What I wish we had the option for was a wake up time each day and auto-standby to shut off, or to have a designated on-off window.

I.E. turn on at 6am and stay on until 8:30. After 8:30am, go into standby xx minutes after the last shot. Maybe setting the standby time to be the same as the wake time might make that work? That would be a good feature request that would allow the rest of the logic to work as intended.

Otherwise, you have to flip the paddle to wake the machine, and then the auto-standby will work. So an alternative would be to have an auto-schedule that warms the machine up fully and shuts it back off prior to when you think you want your first coffee. So if coffee time is no earlier than 8:30, turn on at 8:00 and enter standby at 8:25. When you go to make coffee at 8:30, you flick the paddle to wake it up and the auto-standby is now in effect. Depending on your auto-standby settings, it either stays on until the standby timer runs out, or it waits for you to brew coffee and then starts the timer. Both seem like feasible workarounds, with the big caveat being if you sleep in till 9:30, the machine will take 4 or 5 minutes to get back up to temp instead of being ready to go like it would have been with the old scheduling rules.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Pigeontree

#5: Post by Pigeontree »

I e-mailed La Marzocco about this because I experienced the same issue after the latest update- auto-standby is deactivated during the scheduled on period.

They told me that they do not recommend using both settings anyways and recommended ONLY using scheduling. I even explained my use-case scenario of my partner using the machine early in the AM before I wake up at ~5am, then my first use being around 9am and then usually a 2nd or 3rd between the hours of 2-4pm, and they said that in that case they would still recommend scheduling on from 4am till 4pm, as turning the machine on and off causes more wear and tear than it being on for that entire time.

espressoren

#6: Post by espressoren »

But, assuming you make coffee at 8:30 every morning, what if you schedule it to turn off at 8:45, but have a 2 hour standby timer from the last brew. Will it stay running two hours after the last brew, or will it shut down at 8:45 regardless?
Sorry I think I lost track that there was a reply here.

It will shut down at 8:45 because the schedule takes precedence over the auto standby.

I think what I have to do now is just set the schedule for maybe an hour window. If I don't happen to make coffee until after, the machine will still be warm even if I have to turn it on and wait a few minutes.