La Marzocco Linea Micra and plumbing/flow/preinfusion - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JonnyB

#81: Post by JonnyB »

Jake_G wrote:Are you using an accumulator?

If not, your RO system will not be able to keep up with the volume of the pump, and it can cause damage. Lower pressure is not a huge problem, but you need unrestricted flow to keep from starving the pump.

Cheers!

- Jake
Thanks!
I do have an accumulator (12L). still the pressure seems low and not consistent (e.g after 1.5L becoming weaker)
Since my post this morning Ive installed the kit and connected the machine. all seems to work fine :)

will update

THANKS

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by ShotClock »

Might be worth checking your RO filters - this is a sign that they're clogging in my experience. Might be a good opportunity to replace them.

Jake_G
Team HB

#83: Post by Jake_G »

You can also look into adding a permeate pump to boost the pressure and shorten the recovery time of the membrane.

Generally speaking, a well-functioning RO membrane should last 3-5 years. Having such low pressure in the dis harge from the accumulator could mean that the internal bladder has lost its precharge, as well. Accumulators need to have about 7psi in the bladder when completely empty. This pressure increases as the tank is filled with RO water and serves as the reserve pressure to keep the water flowing when demand exceeds the rate that the membrane can supply fresh water. You can follow the instructions on how to do this here.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

abatch21

#84: Post by abatch21 »

Could you post or PM me a parts list you used for your DIY Plumb in kit and drain kit and a guide to follow? id rather go the DIY route and save money vs the OEM kit.

abatch21

#85: Post by abatch21 »

espressoren wrote:In preparation for receiving my Micra this week I've been reading a lot about water quality, plumbing, etc. I have found a few older discussions around this but thought I'd start a new thread rather than revive a long dead one.

What is everyone's experience around plumb in of these devices and running filters? I know some people have specially curated reservoirs and pumps. I'm looking at plumb in and am a bit surprised by the 8L/ 2.1GPM specified by LM.

https://lamarzoccousa.com/wp-content/up ... ations.pdf

I sort of wonder if this is just assuming you are using line pressure supply and specifying what is considered "normal". For reference, many bath shower heads are only 1.8GPM, and by law can be no more than 2.5GPM in the US or 8L/M in EU. Interesting that their recommended flow rate is the same as the EU max. Additionally, this recommendation doesn't seem to change whether you have a one group machine or a four group machine.

https://lamarzoccousa.com/wp-content/up ... ssic-1.pdf

To bring this back to application, I'm looking at a water prep that can provide .75GPM, versus filtering the line and providing full line pressure and flow. I don't want to "starve" the machine if it's going to cause suction on a low flow filter system and break things, but at the same time it just seems like 2.1GPM is excessive for such a small machine. I understand that nobody short of an LM engineer probably has an official answer to this but looking for experiences.

Related to this - the decision here will have a direct impact on preinfusion. If I go with line pressure I'm looking at maybe 4 bar preinfusion. With the lower flow filter system it may be similar but the pressure may build more gently. Any opinions here?
@espressoren Could you post or PM me a parts list you used for your DIY Plumb in kit and drain kit and a guide to follow? id rather go the DIY route and save money vs the OEM kit.

abatch21

#86: Post by abatch21 »

Can anyone post a parts list for the DIY Plumb kit for the Micra? having a hard time following what everyone used and how they did it.

espressoren (original poster)

#87: Post by espressoren (original poster) replying to abatch21 »

The main part *I* needed to track down was this:

https://shop.hoseandfittings.com/catalo ... 06-04.html

This got me a way to connect 3/8" hose to the existing reservoir pump inlet. From there it was a matter of finding a suitable 3/8" tubing that could handle the pressure and temperature in the machine, and any external connections required.

I'm really hesitant to give a ton of specific advice about this. I have no problem with people doing their DIY but given the potential to, say flood your home or damage your machine, I think people doing a DIY plumb-in should be taking the time to understand and choose components with ratings and connections they feel comfortable with. Especially now that the official kit is available, and seems to go above and beyond in replacing/adding some components for unknown reasons, like a new hard line around the boiler.

abatch21

#88: Post by abatch21 replying to espressoren »

I'll be using a flojet to plumb mine in cuz my station isn't near a water line.