La Marzocco Linea Micra and plumbing/flow/preinfusion - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
espressoren (original poster)

#21: Post by espressoren (original poster) »

Yeah, I'm sure a barbed elbow is available too. I was more interested in the PU tubing replacement, the elbow was just an optimization. It could be my imagination but I felt like the PVC was expanding a little every day!

Jake_G
Team HB

#22: Post by Jake_G »

espressoren wrote:I think this source is wrong about threads per inch of NPT, I guess?
Not wrong, but certainly confusing and incomplete.
The 11 vs 11.5 TPI is for 1" standard pipe size only. As the size gets smaller, there are more threads per inch.
espressoren wrote:At any rate I do think the difference is probably small enough that when the fitting is only 7mm deep, combined with parallel versus tapered, you bottom out before the incompatibility becomes apparent.
Not likely. With tapered threads, you really don't want to bottom out at all. The threads need to bind to make the seal. The thread tape helps make sure this happens, but at 1 thread different per inch, at 7mm you are already off by a quarter thread top to bottom.

I mean, its obviously working but do be weary when you have a completely unconstrained feed source supplying your machine.
LMWDP #704

Advertisement
ibetnoonehasthis
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by ibetnoonehasthis »

I went ahead and ordered the SS version.

I'll post some photos when it comes in and report on the progress of the install.

tysonbreuer

#24: Post by tysonbreuer »

Is it possible to use the Linea Mini plumb-in kit pieces for this machine. And just run the water line in to the pump?

Jake_G
Team HB

#25: Post by Jake_G »

You just need an adapter from the pump to the water line.

A straight 1/4" BSPP union will work. This is already installed on the Mini pump, so the plum in kit does not include one, but the Micra needs it.
LMWDP #704

PaulTheRoaster

#26: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

I wonder if the delay for the kit is because the slot for a hose in the plastic piece under the pump is too narrow for a normal compression hose end to fit.

tysonbreuer

#27: Post by tysonbreuer »

Jake_G wrote:You just need an adapter from the pump to the water line.

A straight 1/4" BSPP union will work. This is already installed on the Mini pump, so the plum in kit does not include one, but the Micra needs it.
Thank you, I've been trying to follow along.

Is this the right part?

Push to Connect Straight Fitting 1/4" OD - 1/4" BSPP (G) Male

https://www.mettleair.ca/ptc/push-to-co ... -male.html

Thanks in advance Jake!

Advertisement
Jake_G
Team HB

#28: Post by Jake_G »

tysonbreuer wrote:Is this the right part?

Push to Connect Straight Fitting 1/4" OD - 1/4" BSPP (G) Male

https://www.mettleair.ca/ptc/push-to-co ... -male.html
No.

You need this:
https://shop.hoseandfittings.com/catalo ... e10d0f004d

The LM kits come with a stainless braided hose that threads onto a male G1/4" fitting. The pump has a female G1/4" port on it, so you need this and a crush washer/O-ring to seal against the pump.

This is the crush washer you need:
https://shop.hoseandfittings.com/catalo ... e10d0f004d
LMWDP #704

espressoren (original poster)

#29: Post by espressoren (original poster) »

Just be warned that it will be pretty awkward to get a steel braided hose into that space. The pump inlet is right there next to the boiler and the original vinyl tubing makes a few 180° turns in a tight space. Maybe the official kit will have an alternate route out? Or at least provide and elbow or very thin and flexible hose. I'm wondering actually if a pre-terminated hose with a 1/4" coupling would even fit through the existing hole.

You can see from my original photos with the clamped PVC tube that the bends are pretty tight, and what is shown is just the half of it to get out of the machine.

Jake_G
Team HB

#30: Post by Jake_G »

Yeah, the hose takes a different route in the bespoke kit.

They may be getting a pre-formed elbow on the production kits to take a route closer to the original tank routing, but that's conjecture. The discharge hose on my GS/3 is this style, with a sweeping 90 degree bend attached to the nipple/tube nut that attaches to the pump.
LMWDP #704