La Marzocco GS3 Repair Parts Questions

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Zachary

#1: Post by Zachary »

Working on my GS3 to change the vacuum, steam, and safety valves I noticed a number of issues.
  1. Some heat damage on the cable going into the LCD board. I found part #E.1.055, can't find it anywhere online. Does this need to be replaced in the condition it's in?
  2. Cable sleeve has frayed from heat? It's disintegrated. I can't seem to find a part number, would this work?
  3. Gasket around group head cracked with age when I went to remove it, how am I going to get the new one on? Is it going to be very stretchy to fit over the group head haha?

Peppersass

#2: Post by Peppersass »

It's hard to tell from a photo whether the cable needs to be replaced. If you see any exposed wire or any sign that that plastic insulation between the conductors has melted, the cable should be replaced. If the insulation is just a little scorched, it's probably OK, but you should replace the heat shield.

Ask your dealer or the Canadian LM distributor (if there is one) whether they can supply the cable and/or heat shield. They'll know the part number on the heat shield. If you strike out with them, contact La Marzocco USA. They'll know the heat shield part number and should be able to supply it and the cable if needed. However, these parts probably aren't replaced very often and may not be in stock. If so, LM USA will have to order them from Italy and it could be a long wait.

Your link to the heat shield on Amazon is broken, so I can't comment on that.

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

Search for "expando sleeve" or "expandable sleeving" and you'll find plenty of the mesh stuff. I'd put it on 2 or 3 layers thick at least where it rubbed off and put something over the sharp edge it rubbed on. If it's an edge, slit a piece of plastic tubing and slip it on that edge, otherwise a few layers of tape or maybe the adhesive backed soft side of Velcro. I don't think the cables are damaged at all, I'd put the sleeving on both and clean up the edge the one rubbed on and call it good. Search for "flat IDC cables" and you should find everything you'll need to make those cables from scratch.

Zachary (original poster)

#4: Post by Zachary (original poster) »

Peppersass wrote:It's hard to tell from a photo whether the cable needs to be replaced. If you see any exposed wire or any sign that that plastic insulation between the conductors has melted, the cable should be replaced. If the insulation is just a little scorched, it's probably OK, but you should replace the heat shield.

Ask your dealer or the Canadian LM distributor (if there is one) whether they can supply the cable and/or heat shield. They'll know the part number on the heat shield. If you strike out with them, contact La Marzocco USA. They'll know the heat shield part number and should be able to supply it and the cable if needed. However, these parts probably aren't replaced very often and may not be in stock. If so, LM USA will have to order them from Italy and it could be a long wait.

Your link to the heat shield on Amazon is broken, so I can't comment on that.
Thanks so much for the response! I have now fixed the link and will reach out to our LM dealer. The insulation is just a little scorched. It would not appear the cable sleeve was long enough to cover the whole length of the cable to begin with.

#5: Post by Zachary (original poster) »

ira wrote:Search for "expando sleeve" or "expandable sleeving" and you'll find plenty of the mesh stuff. I'd put it on 2 or 3 layers thick at least where it rubbed off and put something over the sharp edge it rubbed on. If it's an edge, slit a piece of plastic tubing and slip it on that edge, otherwise a few layers of tape or maybe the adhesive backed soft side of Velcro. I don't think the cables are damaged at all, I'd put the sleeving on both and clean up the edge the one rubbed on and call it good. Search for "flat IDC cables" and you should find everything you'll need to make those cables from scratch.
Thanks, I'll take a look for those sleeves. It rubbed off on the back bottom edge of the front lower panel. Slightly sharp I guess.

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by Splunge »

https://www.stealthcoffeesystems.com is the Canadian LM distributor, conveniently (for you!) located in Vancouver.

After seeing your cable issue, I decided to pull the right panel and driptray to see what might be going on inside my machine.
Turns out my cable's been run between the brew boiler and the waterline from the pump, so is well back from the sharp-edged rail that holds the opv and vac breaker outlets.
Might be worth a reroute once you've replaced the protective cover.

Chris

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Splunge »

Zachary wrote: [*]Gasket around group head cracked with age when I went to remove it, how am I going to get the new one on? Is it going to be very stretchy to fit over the group head haha?
Get a silicone group gasket. They're easier to install than the black rubber and much nicer to use. I was an early adopter and have yet to wear one out.
Chris

Advertisement

#8: Post by Zachary (original poster) replying to Splunge »

Yes I have used these, definitely better than the old rubber ones that crack with age. I should have been more clear, I'm referring to the gasket around the group head, the group neck gasket, not the group gasket. 11 in the below image, part: F.2.013.

#9: Post by Zachary (original poster) »

Splunge wrote:https://www.stealthcoffeesystems.com is the Canadian LM distributor, conveniently (for you!) located in Vancouver.

After seeing your cable issue, I decided to pull the right panel and driptray to see what might be going on inside my machine.
Turns out my cable's been run between the brew boiler and the waterline from the pump, so is well back from the sharp-edged rail that holds the opv and vac breaker outlets.
Might be worth a reroute once you've replaced the protective cover.
Thanks for this! Will be rerouting for sure!

Stealth's service technician is amazing, exceedingly knowledgeable. I've dealt with him on numerous occasions.

Peppersass

#10: Post by Peppersass »

To install the gasket (#11), unscrew and remove the group cap. That will allow the gasket to be stretched over the group.

Might help if you warm up the gasket in your hand and gently pre-stretch it a little. Usually it can be poked into place in the front panel gap it's designed to hide, though sometimes I've had to loosen the two front panel screws to get it seated.

[Edit] This applies to the GS/3 AV. On the latest model GS/3 MP, the gasket is precut to to allow the group switch wiring conduit to pass through. Hence it can be slipped directly onto the gooseneck.