La Marzocco GS3 MP - Fixes for Excess Water Draining into Tank

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
aziomatic

#1: Post by aziomatic »

About two years ago I got my 2012 GS3 MP serviced. Six months later, the old style vacuum breaker started acting up (steam discharging into the drip tray). Meticulously cleaning the parts of the vacuum breaker didn't help, nor did replacing the o-ring. As such, after consulting trusty Home-Barista.com, I bought the newer version of the vacuum breaker, and that solved the problem with steam being emitted to the drip tray. All was running well for the next year or so, but now the GS3 has started discharging much more water into the drip tray that it used to. I need to replace the tank every day for 2-3 shots. Coffee grind hasn't changed dramatically. I've done a fair bit of searching on the site to find suggestions or a solution and haven't hit on anything apart from complete rebuilds of the machine. Ergo, my first post. Suggestions on what may be causing the excess drainage of water and what I may be able to do about it are much appreciated. Thanks!

DanielCroft

#2: Post by DanielCroft »

It's not clear from your post if you've determined where the extra water drainage is coming from?

bostonbuzz

#3: Post by bostonbuzz »

When is it putting water into the drip tray- during shots only?
LMWDP #353

ron231

#4: Post by ron231 »

Are you doing long pre infusions? The gs3 uses a "water wasting" method of adjusting pressure by routing excess to the tray.

aziomatic (original poster)

#5: Post by aziomatic (original poster) »

The questions raised above made me realize I hadn't thought to determine at what point the water waste was occurring. Doh. Last night I made sure to leave the drip tray empty and this morning there was barely any water in it. I've realized that the excess water occurs during brewing when I'm pulling a shot, especially with longer preinfusion periods. I also realized that while my grinder setting hadn't changed, I was using more coffee than before (I've stopped weighing beans, and by just measuring volume, I wasn't take into account the smaller size of the beans from the last roast). Seems like all is well now with the machine. Thanks for the incisive questions.

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

Just out of curiosity as a new GS3 owner, how long/low pressure are you doing your shots that the tank empties in 2-3 shots?
LMWDP #353

aziomatic (original poster)

#7: Post by aziomatic (original poster) »

If memory serves, I was preinfusing for roughly 15-20 seconds and drawing the shot for 60-90 seconds. I should have increased the grind size but was having issues making grinder adjustments. Now that I've switched roasts and adjusted the grind, I'm preinfusing for about 5 seconds with 20-30 second draw. All is back to normal for me. But I'm excited to roast the beans that were giving me trouble to see if I was using too fine a grind with too many beans per shot. Thanks again for the insightful questions.