La Marzocco GS3 MP Conical Valve Upgrade

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
afan

#1: Post by afan »

I had upgraded my GS3 with the Strada modification more than a year ago and recently have ordered the LM 954 kit to further upgrade to the conical valve version. I have prepared some photos taken during the upgrade for sharing.

Box arrived

The instruction is very brief and missed the part for the replacement of the exhaust tube, also the electric connector of the microswitch is wrong (should be female)
LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader

afan (original poster)

#2: Post by afan (original poster) »

Loosen the expansion value to drain water inside the group head to the drip tray.

In order to replace the group exhaust tube, the back flush exhaust tube will need to be disconnected.

After the removal
LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader

afan (original poster)

#3: Post by afan (original poster) »

To be continue.....
LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader

jerbear00

#4: Post by jerbear00 »

I suspect this will help a lot of members navigate. Thanks for sharing!

afan (original poster)

#5: Post by afan (original poster) »

Remove the nut inside the group head

Pull out the original exhaust tube, by pushing from the Group head end.
LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader

afan (original poster)

#6: Post by afan (original poster) »

Remove the bottom 36mm nut inside the group head,
you will need a 36mm tube wrench to do the job, a spanner don't work

Then, install the new 36mm nut into the bottom of the head.
LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader

afan (original poster)

#7: Post by afan (original poster) »

Install the new exhaust tube from the back side of the group head, you may use a dental floss to assist the installation.

The trick is to place the o-ring inside the hole, before moving and adjusting the angle of the the new exhaust tube in order to correctly position the other end to join the blue conical valve.

Make sure the blue conical valve nut sits square at the center and tighten the nut and reinstall the valve at the other end of the group head

Use clamp to hold the blue nut and group head tight, then fasten the exhaust tube nut with a wrench and also the value inside the machine with the 22mm tube wrench.

LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader

caffeinezombie

#8: Post by caffeinezombie »

Very nice guide. I remember back when I replaced my exhaust tube, that 22mm socket that was deep enough took me awhile to find. :(

If possible, could you share where you purchased the upgrade kit and how much it cost? Been still sitting on pulling the trigger on this one.

Viernes

#9: Post by Viernes »

Great guide. Thanks for the effort.

Do you think the new conical valve worth it for someone who already has the strada mod? The installation seems not easy and components are expensive...

afan (original poster)

#10: Post by afan (original poster) »

Place the new group head cover to the group and push down firmly, pull the small tube contain the electric wire via a hole on the group cover, then lock the small tube with a small nut using an allen key

Then screw back the 3 long group head screws with an allen key.
LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader