La Marzocco GS3 app on/off vs smart plug

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
spearfish25

#1: Post by spearfish25 »

Just received my new GS3. I've previously used a wemo plug to turn my Profitec on and off using a HomeKit automation (just leave the Profitec switched on and the wemo controls power).

In the GS3 manual, it discusses 'properly' turning off the machine using the Fn and Off buttons or risking software damage. Are you guys only using the LM app and on/off daily programs provided by LM to automate the on/off timing? Or is it fine to just leave the machine in the ON setting and let the wemo switch supply or cut power? It seems to turn back on in the ON setting without issue when I tried the Wemo.

DanielCroft

#2: Post by DanielCroft »

I use the program feature. When I'm done making espresso I turn it off manually with the two button press.

bostonbuzz

#3: Post by bostonbuzz »

Why would you use another piece of iot to turn on and off an iot device?
LMWDP #353

spearfish25 (original poster)

#4: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Because the HomeKit automations are much more robust, allowing far more control options and control outside my home. I can turn the machine on any time I want a coffee on my way back home. Or I can set up multiple on/off cycles per day. I can even program overrides for certain holidays I may not be home or times I know I'm on vacation.

#5: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

For group knowledge, LM Home got back to me quickly. Short story is the GS3 does fine with switching on/off at the plug but most smart switches aren't rated for the machines power demands.

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

FYI you can control the machine remotely with the LM app as well. You can't do multiple automated on/off cycles in one day though.
LMWDP #353

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

I know the mini and Micra are are integrated in home assistant. Not sure about the GS/3, but it's worth looking into.
LMWDP #704

#8: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

I'll check out my Hoobs this afternoon and see if there's a bridge for it.