La Marzocco GS3 - 24/7, stand by, or on/off?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Sp0ke
Posts: 148
Joined: 2 years ago

#1: Post by Sp0ke »

Hello ! Had a good conversation with some technicians from La Marzocco and from other companies in a coffee fest and the main topic was about what's better from a wear and tear perspective of the machine. Let it on 24/7 , stand by or on/off , what's your opinion about this ?

Searched about this in other topics but main topic was about energy consumption and I care more about how temperature (always hot or hot and cool) affects the internals of the machine.

spearfish25
Posts: 806
Joined: 8 years ago

#2: Post by spearfish25 »

Was just reading on this. Seems like the older GS3 steam boiler breaker didn't like the on/off cycles and mineralized. The newer version may be better. After 8 years, my Profitec Pro 700 that's on for about 4 hours a day has needed a new steam boiler seal around the heating element and the steam breaker o-ring changed a couple times. I could see 'always on' being harder on the rubber gaskets/o-rings. Not sure always on vs on/off does anything different to the heating elements. The heating and cooling cycles don't seem to matter.
______________
Alex
Home-Barista.com makes me want to buy expensive stuff.

User avatar
BaristaBoy E61
Posts: 3455
Joined: 9 years ago

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There's no one right answer that fits all situations. All machines will need maintenance and repairs regardless of what you do or don't do. Make a decision that's right for you and deal with the inevitable challenges.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Sp0ke (original poster)
Posts: 148
Joined: 2 years ago

#4: Post by Sp0ke (original poster) »

spearfish25 wrote:Was just reading on this. Seems like the older GS3 steam boiler breaker didn't like the on/off cycles and mineralized. The newer version may be better. After 8 years, my Profitec Pro 700 that's on for about 4 hours a day has needed a new steam boiler seal around the heating element and the steam breaker o-ring changed a couple times. I could see 'always on' being harder on the rubber gaskets/o-rings. Not sure always on vs on/off does anything different to the heating elements. The heating and cooling cycles don't seem to matter.
What I've seen and they've told me is that the most common issue with on off is that the plastic sleeves are tearing.

Sp0ke (original poster)
Posts: 148
Joined: 2 years ago

#5: Post by Sp0ke (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There's no one right answer that fits all situations. All machines will need maintenance and repairs regardless of what you do or don't do. Make a decision that's right for you and deal with the inevitable challenges.
Thank you! Yes that's what I'm planning to do based on what's more convenient to me.
Do you let your Speedster always on 24/7 ?

spearfish25
Posts: 806
Joined: 8 years ago

#6: Post by spearfish25 »

So this is a situation where 3D printing has been a huge benefit. It should be pretty easy to design and print a modification to replace whatever plastic part is failing.
______________
Alex
Home-Barista.com makes me want to buy expensive stuff.

User avatar
BaristaBoy E61
Posts: 3455
Joined: 9 years ago

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Sp0ke wrote:Thank you! Yes that's what I'm planning to do based on what's more convenient to me.
Do you let your Speedster always on 24/7 ?
Great timing, My wife was just asking if we should leave the 'Stevester Speedster' on most of the day. We turn it OFF around noon. We might try leaving it ON longer once we're in heating season. Electric heat is 100% efficient.

Generally, I just pick a a lane and stick to it but there's no harm changing lanes either - Except when we're air-conditioning too! :mrgreen:
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Extractor7
Posts: 6
Joined: 2 years ago

#8: Post by Extractor7 »

Sp0ke wrote:Hello ! Had a good conversation with some technicians from La Marzocco and from other companies in a coffee fest and the main topic was about what's better from a wear and tear perspective of the machine. Let it on 24/7 , stand by or on/off , what's your opinion about this ?

Searched about this in other topics but main topic was about energy consumption and I care more about how temperature (always hot or hot and cool) affects the internals of the machine.
What did the LM technicians recommend?

Thank you.

User avatar
Ypuh
Posts: 306
Joined: 3 years ago

#9: Post by Ypuh »

Different parts wear at different rates. Some parts wear when the machine is on, so 24/7 will cause additional wear. Others will wear with each on/off cycle.

It's pretty hard to calculate which is the more benificial, but if you take in the European energy costs of up to €0.50 per kWh, the additional energy consumption probably offsets any additional maintenance costs. This might look different if your energy costs are €0.15 per kWh.

(Ps. my Linea Mini consumes approximately 1.3 kWh in an 8h on/16h off cycle or 3 kWh per day in a 24/7 cycle)
I don't want a Decent

Sp0ke (original poster)
Posts: 148
Joined: 2 years ago

#10: Post by Sp0ke (original poster) »

Not a specific answer.. more like 50-50. One told me that GS3 is made to be always on.