La Marzocco FB/80 preinfusion?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
vanchopski

#1: Post by vanchopski »

Looking at the manual for a LM FB/80 there is a very brief mention of a preinfusion setting that can be programmed. There is zero info on how that works so though I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea of how it works and whether it works well.

Thanks.

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Chabeau »

I agree- there isn't a whole lot of discussion on FB80/GB5 user experience regarding preinfusion...

The manual is pretty straightforward I'm terms of explaining how to set your preinfusion timing parameters so I can't help much here.

I can say it works well in that it functions as advertised. You will find, of course, that there is no "one size fits all" preinfusion setting. I find that it does open the door to different flavors for a blend/SO at a given dose/grind that you might not have access to without preinfusion. It sure is fun exploring different preinfusion settings, I'll admit!

I'm not sure if the machine uses a unique mechanism for preinfusion. If there is, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Chad
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

vanchopski (original poster)

#3: Post by vanchopski (original poster) »

Thanks Chad.

I just purchased a used 3-group FB/80 EE for installation in a coffee shop I'm opening but I haven't ever used one before.

I'd read all the promotional material and the Operating Manual for this machine but didn't see any mention of preinfusion anywhere until I read the User Manual that came with this machine. Everyone loves talking about the paddle preinfusion feature but nobody seems to like the auto version. :) And the manual doesn't explain how the auto preinfusion works.

Is it similar to the paddle in that it allows relatively low, water line pressure for a set period of time before it
blasts the PF with full pump pressure?

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Chabeau »

It appears the preinfusion is only at 9 bars. At least that's what the pressure gauge shows on the machine. Whether this translates to 9ish bars at the puck, I'm not exactly sure. I don't have a fancy pressure gauge PF to see what's going on in the basket while brewing. You can set the total preinfusion time and how long the pump is on during that time, each with a resolution of 0.1s.

The machine is kind of limited in the respect of "ramping" pressure, at least in the sense of imitating a pressure profile of a spring lever. Also the total preinfusion time is limited to five seconds total. I suppose you could lengthen the preinfusion on an AV model, setting each button to unique volumetric/preinfusion limits and use them sequentially for an extended preinfusion...

Hope this helps.

Chad
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

radish_beans

#5: Post by radish_beans »

As far as I'm aware, programmable preinfusion is only available on AV models, though all new-ish LMs will have gicleurs fitted.

#6: Post by vanchopski (original poster) »

Ah ok so likely the EE doesn't allow preinfusion? The LM manuals are far from clear on a lot of this stuff.

I'd posted a question on another board as to whether anyone had tried modifying a non-AV FB/80 to enable preinfusion, possibly with a PID to control pressure with intermittent pump operation.

Another option would be to plumb in a valve that allows selection between hot water at line pressure and full pump pressure, the same way the paddle system works.

Not sure if any of these are viable options or even whether the added expense and effort is whorthwhile to get preinfusion.

radish_beans

#7: Post by radish_beans »

I asked the same question sometime back. The manual lists the options specific to EE models and preinfusion isn't mentioned. I thought it may be available via some hidden menu option (wishful thinking!) but LM USA informed me that the firmware is different between AV and EE models.

eric needham

#8: Post by eric needham »

vanchopski wrote:Looking at the manual for a LM FB/80 there is a very brief mention of a preinfusion setting that can be programmed. There is zero info on how that works so though I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea of how it works and whether it works well.

Thanks.
sorry the pre infusion is a feature on the av models, it is a programing that allows a variable time of pump on 9 bar pre infusion followed by a programmable time off to allow saturation then pump on to complete the volumetric dosing. it is found in the FB-80 programing guide. I used it on my FB-80 and I thought it worked fine, although most people do not know that is available on the FB-80 and a pre set version on the newer linas as well.

hope this helps, Eric

#9: Post by vanchopski (original poster) »

Very helpful. Thanks Eric and Radish.

It'd be nice to get one's hands on the AV firmware and load it into an EE.

That FB/80 takes up a lot of counter space but it sure looks nice! Lol