La Marzocco factory boiler insulation material

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pfelix

#1: Post by pfelix »

Hi,

I read a great thread on boiler insulation materials here; unfortunately I can't comment on it anymore: Boiler insulation

Does anyone know which material La Marzocco chose for their new machines?

Some pictures from the Linea Mini below.

I would really appreciate any hints; thanks in advance.
-Felix

sluflyer06

#2: Post by sluflyer06 »

It's unfortunate that not one person in that (insightful) thread bothered to collect before and after data on power consumption over time to actually demonstrate the difference objectively. Wish they had, for science.

pfelix (original poster)

#3: Post by pfelix (original poster) »

Agreed.

LM claims on their website that savings are in in the 20% range:
La Marzocco believes in saving energy. The boilers on every model are fully equipped with insulated boilers, increasing energy efficiency by 20%.
http://global.lamarzocco.com/en/social-responsibility/

nuketopia

#4: Post by nuketopia »

It appears to be grey melamine foam with aluminum foil covering on my Linea Mini.

This is the same material that is being offered on current Quickmill units and as a replacement for older QM's which insulation that degraded. (as my older one did).

The melamine is good stuff, fire retardant and should handle the heat really well without degrading. Only time will tell. But I don't think I'll have to mess with it.

pfelix (original poster)

#5: Post by pfelix (original poster) »

Thank you; melamine foam seems to be a good choice -- especially 'Basotect' by BASF.
Basotect® is produced without using halogenated hydrocarbons, flame retardants and/or toxic heavy metals. Basotect does not contaminate water. The supplied product is free of blowing agents and is not subject to labeling requirements under the German hazardous material regulations. Basotect is certified to the Oeko®-Tex Standard 100.
More info here: http://www.plasticsportal.net/wa/plasti ... properties