La Cimbali M31 Power Wiring Help

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MDEspressoGuy

#1: Post by MDEspressoGuy »

Good afternoon all! I recently picked up a used M31 Dosatron.

Would anyone know how to turn this into a home use power cord? I live in the USA.

Thank you in advance!

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Looks like a 208 3 phase Y power cord or that's what 5 wires would commonly be. Conceptually it could also be 38V 3 phase but that's uncommon in the US. Our life would be a lot easier if you gave us any information:

How is the other end of the cord connected?
What does the plate on the machine say about the voltage needs?

I would guess it can be rewired to run on 220V single phase or possible 220V with a neutral. It will take a dedicated 20 or 30 amp 220V outlet and some or most of the rewiring will likely have to be done inside the machine.

Ira

Advertisement
MDEspressoGuy (original poster)

#3: Post by MDEspressoGuy (original poster) »

Thank you!

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Well, that tells us the pump is 240V. but I can't see where or how the power cord attaches. Usually there is a terminal block the cord attaches to, it would be on the right side of the picture of the boiler. Also, there should be another power label on the outside of the machine and possibly a wiring diagram stuck inside on some panel.

Ira

stefano65
Sponsor

#5: Post by stefano65 »

Going by the normal Italian way to convert to here,
the red-black and brown will do one leg
the white the other leg
the green the ground.
BUT as mentioned follow the internal wiring to confirm so.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

civ

#6: Post by civ »

Hello:

Welcome to HB.
MDEspressoGuy wrote: ... anyone know how to turn this into a home use power cord?
Along with HB's FAQ, one of the many useful features we have here at HB is the Search function.
You'll be surprised how much info it can gather for you in just a little while as here at HB there is a treasure lode of data and information to most anything espresso related available to all members.

For example, this is the first thing that came up when I searched:
La Cimbali M24 DT3 convert to single-phase

One of the posts has a link to a M24 manual for download on a *.pdf file:
https://www.hermelinhandels.se/search/d ... 2nuol6.pdf

In turn, the manual has a set of illustrations and instructions from (pp. 23/38) on how to connect one of these power hungry monsters to mains.

Read the thread and download the manual, the solution is there.

This said, I think that the wisest approach would be to have this looked at by a licenced electrician or at least someone proficient in installations of this type.

Do keep up posted on how you fare with this.

Cheers,

CIV

#7: Post by MDEspressoGuy (original poster) »

Much appreciated. I will read the manual. Thanks!

Advertisement
truemagellen

#8: Post by truemagellen »

Here is my casual and well meaning reminder of what kind of power these things pull. If you leave it on all day, not shutting down/on a timer you could see a $60-130 electrical bill increase depending on your local power rates.

I've had multiple multi group 220v machines before because I love the steam, the stability, ease of repair and just because they are a conversation piece. After a decade or so of running them on timers (on from 5am to 6pm) I determined I spent well over $5000 in power over that time in MN a lower price per KW location. It was ultimately the reason why I went down to a 1 group 110v unit (albeit 20amp). Just something to consider as you think long term with this project :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#9: Post by MDEspressoGuy (original poster) replying to truemagellen »

Noted. After consulting an electrician this morning, I've deemed it financially unreasonable to continue repairing this machine. Not to mention, the cafe I got it from said 'the motherboard is fried', so who knows how bad it actually is in there. Anyone need M32 cimbali parts?

truemagellen

#10: Post by truemagellen replying to MDEspressoGuy »

If you break it down and sell parts on ebay (lots of work) you will end up making a lot of money. I sold off Rancilio parts before and it is a suprise, almost all the parts sold to repair companies.