La Cimbali M24 DT3 convert to single-phase

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Rego

#1: Post by Rego »

Dear Home-barista forum users,

I am te proud owner of a beautiful La Cimbali m24 with 3 groups and would like to take some advises on the process of converting it to single phase power.
I have read the manual and although it looks pretty obvious I still have doubts related to the cable colorir setup.
Here is the manual:

https://www.hermelinhandels.se/search/d ... 2nuol6.pdf

I live in Germany (220v) and want to setup the machine for single phase. The power cable is composed of 5 colored internal wires: White, brown, black, blue and yellow(earth). The machine specifies the electrical connectors as T,S,R,N

Questions:
1. Page 23:building the cable connector fig 4 does it mean the the white and blue go together (N) and the. Rowan and black as well (T)?
2. Page 27: should I join as well here the white/blue (N) and the black/brown(T) and then connect the bridges with a wire?

Thank you in advance for you help.

Best regards
Hugo

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

It clearly shows the answer in the pictures near the end of the manual but all the comments are in Italian. Find it in English and I'll be glad to help.

Ira

Rego (original poster)

#3: Post by Rego (original poster) »

thank you for the reply Ira. I believe all the text is shown in 4 languages, where are you seeing only Italian comments?
But since you are willing to help let me ask you about the procedure to convert the M24 DT3 to single-phase:
. how would you wire the power plug? white/blue together, brown/black together and earth ?

. how would you wire the distributer inside the machine? again the same colors together plus the bridges between T/S and R/N? (picture attached)

. power requisites and concerns for a home installation

Thanks
Hugo

Cimbalixxx

#4: Post by Cimbalixxx »

Hugo,

The power plug you show is a EU 3 Phase plug as it has 5 pins. If you have a single phase European plug, you will only have 3 pins which connect to the following color wires (Brown - phase, Blue-Neutral and Green/Yellow safety ground). Therefore, your power cord will only have 3 wires. For single phase connection to your Cimbali, your phase wire (grey wire in the manual picture) and blue neutral connect to the terminal block with the jumpers as shown. Note that if you have a single phase power cord, you may only have a brown wire and not grey. As a matter of completeness, for three phase power, the colors are as follows in a 3 phase power cord:

Phase 1 - Brown
Phase 2 - Black
Phase 3 - Grey
Neutral - Blue
Ground - Green/Yellow

Albert

Cimbalixxx

#5: Post by Cimbalixxx »

.....also...if you plan to convert the 3 phase connector to a single phase application, you need to be extremely careful not to reverse the phase conductor and the neutral...or worse...the phase and safety ground. I highly suggest you simply replace the 3 phase power cord with a single phase cord and power plug....

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

Or you could get a 3 phase to single phase converter but a power wire change would be much less expensive.
Dave Stephens

Rego (original poster)

#7: Post by Rego (original poster) »

Many thanks for your answers. much appreciated.

Indeed I have an adapter as follows:

Therefore I would like to keep the 3 phase cable and its EU 5 pin plug.

if I understood Albert correctly I should be mapping the wires (single phase adapter - 3 phase plug) as follows:

Wire 1: Phase - Brown / Phase 1 - Brown
Wire 2: n/a / Phase 2 - Black (disconnected ?)
Wire 3: n/a / Phase 3 - Grey (disconnected ?)
Wire 4: Neutral - Blue / Neutral - Blue
Wire 4: Ground - Green/Yellow / Ground - Green/Yellow

And finally the inside the machine:
- On the terminal Strip: Should I disconnect/un-wire the S and R and just do the bridges?
As-IS configuration:

- On the terminal block: Should I review the connections to have B-R , A-S and C-N as per the manual figure?
As-IS configuration:

Summary of my understanding on the final diagram:

Thank you again for your precious inputs.

best regards
Hugo

Cimbalixxx

#8: Post by Cimbalixxx »

Hugo,
Try this....

Rego (original poster)

#9: Post by Rego (original poster) »

Many thanks Albert. I will give it a try and will let you know how it goes... hope well :).

Rego (original poster)

#10: Post by Rego (original poster) »

Hi,

I have configured electrical diagram as per Albert's suggestions and the machine did powered up as expected, all key LEDs light up and the pump starts to try pull water to fill the boiler.
My only concern now is related to the boiler filling. the machine keeps trying to pull water with Intervalls of 20sec. But even after 15 min connected the boiler seems not to be filling as the manometer stays in 0. it makes 3-5 secs triggers to pull water the manometer moves and then returns to 0. any ideas?

best regards
Hugo