Keeping your mirror polished stainless steel clean

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Shakespeare »

I was always having trouble with keeping clean the polished surfaces of my espresso machine after a poor shot. I learned a few facts a little late but it better to perform the correct routines in keeping the machine surfaces as new as possible.

Don't use any cleaning towels that are abrasive must be avoided. These include: Paper towels of ANY kind
Don't use any Terrycloth, linen, or cotton rags / towels (no matter how "soft" they feel to the touch)

Only micro-fiber towels.
Or I have been using a glass cleaner product that contains no harsh chemicals... "Invisible Glass 90166-2PK Lint-Free and Ammonia-Free Large Glass Cleaning Wipes''
The company also has a canned product... I find it convenient to use the wipes.

There are a number of recommended Stainless cleaners, creams and polishing products. I leave that to you.

miab

#2: Post by miab »

The only fabric that should touch a fine finish is 100% cotton. Even if the tag says 100% cotton it hardly ever is. You have to burn a corner to see how it burns.

"You can test fabric for 100% cotton using the burn test. Take a few fibers and hold them against a flame. 100% cotton will not curl from the heat. It smells like burning paper and leaves grayish ash without signs of melting."

Microfiber is one of the worst. Ask the car guys.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

WD40 and cloth squares cut from old cotton undershirts.

limonengelb

#4: Post by limonengelb »

the stainless on my LM wipes clean with a damp microfiber. I keep one at the machine and wipe it down if I have a bit of spray. No issues with scratching, dulling, spider webbing, etc. Same was true of my Rocket. The cup holder stainless on top however.... I'll call that patina

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

While we do take good care of our espresso machine, we are no longer obsessed with keeping it in showroom condition, which is just not possible or realistic over time. Today, we much prefer and appreciate a machine that looks well used and well enjoyed that is above all well maintained than one that is an espresso Dorian Gray.

Our machine is aging well and performing perfectly; not ageless but rather timeless.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"