Journey - La Marzocco Linea Mini in an office setting - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
another_jim
Team HB

#21: Post by another_jim » Oct 10, 2019, 2:27 am

I'm glad you are doing this experiment, although you have my condolences about being so busy that you can't use the machine at home.

In any case, I'm one of those who advises people to go with Nespresso (or a superauto if the office is green). So I hope you can continue long enough to prove us all wrong; it would be lovely if all the people in your office gradually become competent at making shots and milk drinks.
Jim Schulman

redbone

#22: Post by redbone » Oct 10, 2019, 9:26 am

Went through a similar exercise at work at settled on a plumbed commercial Bunn dripper, SS funnel vs plastic that came with machine, Zojirushi thermal gravity pot 84oz. Bunn LPG grinder with settable timed grinding, Commercial Everpure filter which also feeds water cooler.
Took a while to find ideal grind and volume but now running flawlessly. Posted how to instructions on laminated sheet on wall above machine. Only issue is the occasional brain blip when someone decides to grind directly into funnel without first adding paper filter this has happened only twice. Found this system best for non coffee people since it involves depressing two rocker switches one for grinding and one to initiate dripper.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Phaedrus

#23: Post by Phaedrus » Oct 10, 2019, 9:56 am

We recently put in a Mini Vivaldi with the pod kit. With the volumetric dosing, it was a breeze to train the people on my team. I would say about ten of us use the machine on a daily basis. The ESE pods, I believe, are much better for the environment as they're just coffee and paper. (The wrapping I'm not so sure about :?: ). I debated long and hard about what to introduce to the team to up the coffee game. The more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of having a grinder, scale, etc. The Vivaldi was a good compromise. We can get decent espresso with the ESE pods, change coffees on a whim (great for decaf drinkers) and we can simply buy a grinder if we ever decide collectively to up our game some more. As usual, the folks at CCS were awesome to deal with. They pre-installed the pod kit, a no burn steam wand and the timer. It was pretty much plug and play when it arrived. I will say, that we are all drinking way more espresso now than we did before!

TXMoose

#24: Post by TXMoose » Oct 10, 2019, 11:55 am

We have had a Gaggia Academia at work for about 4 years now.
I'm guessing around 1 in 5 employees have used the machine.
Around half the time I want to use it, I have to either fill the water tank or dump out the spent pucks.

I'm wondering of something like a Breville Oracle would be a better office choice?

jpsm

#25: Post by jpsm » Oct 10, 2019, 12:03 pm

I cant imagine leaving my "baby" aka gs3 at work and have people abuse the hell out of the machine. Maybe over tighten the portafilter or not purge after steaming milk.

Personally if I were in your shoes, I would sell it. I would not buy a machine if I could not use it atleast twice a day. I am really lucky that my family home is just behind our family commercial building where I work so if i want to make coffee I just go home and walk the 100 feet and I get to use my setup atleast 3x a day.

I applaud you for doing something out of the box but remember other people wont treat your baby like a baby because they did not spend a dime on it. Good luck though!

CoffeeYams

#26: Post by CoffeeYams » Oct 11, 2019, 1:14 am

Well today I trained about 3 of the 4 people interested with some good success. I'd consider these guys my work friends so there's mutual respect present here. Trained for latte and Americanos.

I thought it was kind of cool that one of them said just having this here makes the place feel more like a tech/software/startup company, which is sort of what I wanted to bring to the workplace. Makes the vibe better overall.

CoffeeYams

#27: Post by CoffeeYams » Oct 11, 2019, 1:17 am

TXMoose wrote:We have had a Gaggia Academia at work for about 4 years now.
I'm guessing around 1 in 5 employees have used the machine.
Around half the time I want to use it, I have to either fill the water tank or dump out the spent pucks.

I'm wondering of something like a Breville Oracle would be a better office choice?
I think I like how the LMLM is so manual in it's process as when u want to use it, you have to commit a threshold of time to it to make a beverage unlike the Keurig that the time to remove the k cup is a large percentage of the time of the whole experience so people never do it.

The new people trained on it did understand that the grinder can be off sometimes but they seem to enjoy the whole experience of the task rather than just the drink as a whole, even though the drink is good.

patrickff

#28: Post by patrickff » Oct 11, 2019, 10:58 am

Thanks for doing this "experiment".
In my office there are two approaches: (a) Coffee club - drip coffee maker in the break room (a few $ per month), (b) people have their own coffee makers in their cubes. I consume a mix of Saeco Xsmall & Chemex/Kalita coffee.

I am in the same boat as you as I only use my Silvia on the weekends. Not that I would bring it ever to my office - things like a jammed gasket, not flushing/cleaning, etc would worry me.

JayBeck

#29: Post by JayBeck » Oct 11, 2019, 1:19 pm

Breville Oracle Touch seems like a dream machine for an office scenario. Minimal training involved and better coffee than a super auto.

lsun22

#30: Post by lsun22 » Oct 11, 2019, 2:28 pm

CoffeeYams wrote:I would argue in my current state the LMLM and grinder I'm trying to find used will minimally depreciate in value compared to the constant toll of Nespresso pods that continue to eacalate.

While I did personally fund the LMLM and the grinder, I noticed its resale value I haven't lost much.

Total in
LMLM used - $2200 + gas money + time
Baratza Vario new - $400
Coffee (local roaster or Starbucks) - free (I found a way to make it free)

It's an interesting scenario as k cups are employer funded. This setup is more employee funded, which the employer allowed (can't thank them enough)
LMLM for $2200? deal of the year right there. was it needing repairs? or someone just didn't know what they had?