Journey - La Marzocco Linea Mini in an office setting - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mgwolf

#11: Post by mgwolf » Oct 09, 2019, 4:23 pm

I couldn't imagine this going over well in any office environment I've been a part of.
What going over? Free Nespresso that anyone can make or LMLM espresso that no one can make?

CoffeeYams

#12: Post by CoffeeYams » Oct 09, 2019, 4:43 pm

mgwolf wrote:Once you figure in the cost of good coffee and the price of the LMLM/grinder, you can buy an awful lot of Nespresso pods.
I would argue in my current state the LMLM and grinder I'm trying to find used will minimally depreciate in value compared to the constant toll of Nespresso pods that continue to eacalate.

While I did personally fund the LMLM and the grinder, I noticed its resale value I haven't lost much.

Total in
LMLM used - $2200 + gas money + time
Baratza Vario new - $400
Coffee (local roaster or Starbucks) - free (I found a way to make it free)

It's an interesting scenario as k cups are employer funded. This setup is more employee funded, which the employer allowed (can't thank them enough)

dsblv
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by dsblv » Oct 09, 2019, 6:14 pm

CoffeeYams wrote:... However, at a minimum the value is still there for me to make the drinks I love and enjoy...
Seems like that was the primary motive for buying the Mini for your office. In that case, worrying about the other employees isn't worth the effort.

CoffeeYams

#14: Post by CoffeeYams » replying to dsblv » Oct 09, 2019, 10:42 pm

Hm that's a fair point. I gotta give it a few weeks to see how people warm up to it. But yes, that was a big motive.

As mentioned, I'm probably going to see only a few select users and a few requests to make stuff if the time is right (meetings in the break room).

JokerJacket

#15: Post by JokerJacket » Oct 09, 2019, 11:00 pm

Can you come join my company and and bring your LMLM into the office? :D

NicaDon

#16: Post by NicaDon » Oct 09, 2019, 11:21 pm

Being able to have your, for the most part, personal setup at work where you use it the most is a great benefit. I've tried proselytizing but most (as in all) of the people I know are happy to occasionally splurge for Starbucks but just as happy to drink coffee from a regular coffee maker. So it's just me, though the kids love grinding the Lido which is a great help.

It's good that you can have your machine where you spend the most time using it. Just the visual aspect is good for customers who probably see it as an indication of a happy professional environment. Thinking that it was company provided would give me that impression.

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Bluenoser » Oct 10, 2019, 12:06 am

man.. k-cups.. environment.. miserable..

I wonder if sometimes this stuff is education.. I'm in a small town, my friends thought me crazy spending xxx on a "coffee machine".. However, you'd be surprised how many visits I get for latte's.. and I've converted a few to straight espresso.

So, I'd take some latte's around to give out.. and later ask if people want to learn to make one. Maybe do some noon-hour training sessions.. You'll need to do a few over a month.. Take some espresso's around and deliver and ask the espresso drinkers what they think.. Tell them you can give them a quick tutorial on pulling shots..

No question people today want a coffee in 1.2 seconds, so the k-cup thing might be inevitable.. but hell.. I'd have died for a LM in my place of work.. but I'd have needed someone to teach me.

Very generous of you. as if you get success, you'll be the one doing the maintenance..

Chert
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Chert » Oct 10, 2019, 12:38 am

CoffeeYams wrote:image

I'm interested in both positive and harshly negative feedback, or potential ideas to try and implement.
Is that very nice setup in your own space or in a neutral space where any colleague can go to it?

My Pharos and Pasquini are on my desk. I am not that surprised that the 2 others who partake let me be barista. I would be happy to let them, but I cannot imagine any of the other coffee drinkers would be comfortable stepping into my office to use while I work away next to them, much less while I am about my other work duties during non-lunchtime.

CoffeeYams

#19: Post by CoffeeYams » Oct 10, 2019, 12:41 am

Bluenoser wrote:man.. k-cups.. environment.. miserable..

I wonder if sometimes this stuff is education..

So, I'd take some latte's around to give out.. and later ask if people want to learn to make one. Maybe do some noon-hour training sessions.. You'll need to do a few over a month.. Take some espresso's around and deliver and ask the espresso drinkers what they think..

Very generous of you. as if you get success, you'll be the one doing the maintenance..
Thanks for some of these ideas. So far the boss really really enjoyed it when he came to visit when I first turned it on. Frankly I doubt more than 20% of the office knows it's even there as the stainless sort of just blends into the background and doesn't catch so much attention like the white one.

I'm hoping to at least spread my hobby around the office like you mentioned as education. No one has had any experience in making espresso or how it even is made. I think I may do a noon class with some of these guys as I need to get rid of a gallon of milk in the fridge and I'm going on travel soon. GREAT IDEA!!

CoffeeYams

#20: Post by CoffeeYams » Oct 10, 2019, 12:46 am

Chert wrote: My Pharos and Pasquini are on my desk. I am not that surprised that the 2 others who partake let me be barista. I would be happy to let them, but I cannot imagine any of the other coffee drinkers would be comfortable stepping into my office to use while I work away next to them, much less while I am about my other work duties during non-lunchtime.
It's currently in a public break room but it's in the better break room that's actually farther away from the work area (newly renovated). Public is everyone could access it but no one does unless someone is a better barista than me and I just don't know it haha.

I'm just a low level employee so I definitely don't have my own office. Although the thought did occur to me if I ever do rise up that that may be a question to ask about the machine.