JetSteam Espresso Machine... Who wants one of these?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Rocket Coffee

#1: Post by Rocket Coffee »

Very, very interesting...JetSteam. Or as was overheard, "the machine nobody saw coming".

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Others shared positive comments about it on CG (link).

I found it conceptually intriguing, but couldn't shake the thought that it was a solution searching for a problem. It costs $2000 more than a La Marzocco GS3 and is backed by a company that will celebrate its first anniversary this year. The biggest disappointment was that they couldn't serve drinks because they discovered too late that only UL listed espresso machines could be powered up at the SCAA conference.

The Ai-1 is cool looking and I like the idea of reducing the barrier between barista and client. I wonder if it will gain market traction.
Dan Kehn

Rocket Coffee (original poster)

#3: Post by Rocket Coffee (original poster) »

HB wrote:The Ai-1 is cool looking and I like the idea of reducing the barrier between barista and client. I wonder if it will gain market traction.
That's exactly what I found interesting about it. For that kind of dough, a Synesso with multi-camera views projected to a few flat screen monitors might have the same effect, or at least it's own "wow" factor. We know the Synesso is standing the test of time at least.

Sorry about the cross post - I had no idea it was scooped on CG... :oops:

jesawdy

#4: Post by jesawdy »

I've exchanged e-mails with the company owner, machine designer. I can say that he was quite receptive to conversation and constructive criticism. They may have a winner there... I hope so, I like the concept.

A future option may be a PID controller and temp indicator for the grouphead, vice the stock 200F grouphead heater temp.

The owner also indicated that Scace testing results and updated/improved videos are planned.
Jeff Sawdy

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

It's very clean and modern; basically "the astounding disappearing espresso machine." For a premium machine, it's the very opposite of the traditional Italian aesthetic of over-the-top and in-your-face. I'll be curious to see if it catches on; but personally, at this price, I'd prefer the traditonal aesthetics and added artistry of Kees's machines.
Jim Schulman

mattwells

#6: Post by mattwells »

Gotta root for the new guy here - there are some pretty cool/innovative ideas. I love the idea having 2 machines instead of a 2 group if I was a shop. They went way overkill with the electronics as well (it appears).

Didn't find the price, but it is a neat concept. Tearing down the barista/customer differential would be great for a 3rd wave shop. Again depending on price.

Issues/Questions I had:
Steam wand that only moves left and right - on a machine in this class, it should DEFINITELY be omni-directional.
I would probably like a longer steam wand (pure conjecture here) and a foot control option would be cool (wasn't it Synesso that did that?)
More obvious adjustability in the temp (if I have a highly trained barista, let him set it how he wants) - a display the barista can see with controls.
I don't know about the recovery since it is only 110. On the other hand, 110 would be nice for some people who are buying small machines.

Cool Things:
HX to preheat the brew water - pretty cool idea, would help with brewing recovery. Dunno how well it would work real world, but is cool in theory.
Cooling fans for the electronics.

Still, a really cool design.

EDIT - Just went over to CG. $6.5k isn't all that much for its target market (shops) especially when you consider what those places spend on maintenance etc. for superautos. If it is reliable, that would be a much better bargain.
AND, they have GOT to get a better Latte video - most of the videos about embarrassing latte art in the Tips forum are better than theirs.
Matt Wells

LMWDP #160

Rocket Coffee (original poster)

#7: Post by Rocket Coffee (original poster) »

mattwells wrote:Cool Things:
HX to preheat the brew water - pretty cool idea, would help with brewing recovery. Dunno how well it would work real world, but is cool in theory.
Synesso has that feature as do some of the La Marzocco models.

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB replying to Rocket Coffee »

As does the Expobar Brewtus.
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

I thought my A3 had a big drop between the group and cup. You need a milk crate under that thing to bring the cup closer to the group. I was surprised at the 110v power requirement, interesting machine.
Dave Stephens

Ken Fox

#10: Post by Ken Fox »

Interesting product, which I viewed in person with other SCAA attendees.

I'd be surprised if the company is still around for SCAA 2008.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955