JetSteam Espresso Machine... Who wants one of these? - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
HB
Admin

#31: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

Kaffee Bitte

#32: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

jesawdy wrote:Personally (and I'm not bragging), I think I could easily work a two-group by myself in a busy commercial setting, and with practice, maybe even a three-group, if all I had to do was build drinks. IMO, a good shop will know their regulars and start building their drink as they come in the door, and the PBTC should be taking orders 3 customers deep in the queue.
Doesn't seem like you are bragging to me. That is a very good definition of a quality shop with experienced baristi. Someone who knows what they are doing, the space they work in and the quirks of the machinery can easily handle a two group alone and pump out drinks faster than two people on one machine. A three group I think could be done, but three and especially four group machines were originally made to allow two baristas to work in close proximity and still move beverages at a decent pace.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Dasein

#33: Post by Dasein »

Ken Fox wrote:Let's assume for the moment that this machine makes better espresso than all the other machines out there, and is easier to use, by far. I'd still rate the likelihood of this being a successful business proposition, at slim to none. The world is full of examples of mediocre and worse products dominating their industries and squeezing out much better stuff. You have to look no further than the computer you are using to view this message (most likely a PC) to prove THAT point. If success in the marketplace was based on the quality and merits of the products, Microsoft would be but a footnote in the history of personal computing and we'd all be using something else. Betamax was reportedly far superior to the technology that was ultimately adopted, VHS, for videocassetes. A skilled barista using good and fresh coffee produces much better drinks than any superauto, but on nearly every street corner you will find a Starbucks full of button pushers and superautos making milk drinks from 6 month old coffee, and there are often lines out the door. I could continue but I think you get my idea.
Not sure I agree with your specific analogy here (and in the other posts) but I do understand what you are trying to say -- perhaps a better one to use in this case is to talk about the Delorean.

Ken Fox

#34: Post by Ken Fox replying to Dasein »

and coke?

ken
:P
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

Randy G.

#35: Post by Randy G. »

Marshall wrote:.....Personally, I'd take a GS3. But, if this machine produces a good espresso and the developers establish an effective service network, all these advantages could justify the extra initial cost for the shopowner. It could also be a hit in the "damn the expense" home decor market.
I spoke to them at Long Beach and did actually mentioned to them that if the upper, exposed section could be lowered and fit flush with a counter top it could be a big hit in high-end kitchens.

The under-counter works appeared to be well designed and relatively easy to access for repairs.

Ken Fox

#36: Post by Ken Fox replying to Randy G. »

Hey Randy,

Tell us about your experience with "high end kitchens" . . . . .

:P

Rich people aren't like you and me. I've met a few where I live (of course they would NEVER invite me over for dinner or anything like THAT) and if it were easy to sell expensive stuff to them I'd have gotten in to that business long ago. You'd have to sell the designer on the concept and then the designer's people would have to get together with "their people."

A friend of mine here is a designer and works on rich people's houses. She has some stories to tell but none of them are about $7K futuristic espresso machines in the high end kitchen. Truly rich people don't make espresso. They have a staff. The rich person doesn't care all that much how the espresso is made, just that it IS made. Think superauto. Think Illy or something else expensive that their rich friends have heard of.

They don't take advice from people like us and they don't go to the SCAA.

Work on the decorator. That's your best shot.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955