ITO/Leva! Controller - Q&A + Experience - Page 8

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
opet

#71: Post by opet »

> Return the membrane regulator to your dealer, that's a manufacturing fault, they are not supposed to pop open. It has nothing to do with anything else.

Good to know. Thanks!

> don't know if they are related, but I have been seeing low pressure in the status monitor all day

> Does this mean you are continuing to use the machine while you have a leak in the pressurized part of the fluid system? That would be pretty crazy. The picture shows a high amount of flow, which explains the low pressure. Where is that water going? Leaking out? Coarse grind? Drip tray?

No, not really. I ran the machine for a while with the back cover off to check for leaks or anything unusual. Nothing. Normal grind. No excess water in the drip tray. I guess the only part left is through the OPV and back in the tank. I haven't check it since it was serviced a couple of years ago.

> If one notices that the pressure is exactly 30% too low or too high, for example if one expects 9bar but gets 6bar, the sensor (200psi or 300spi) most likely does not match the sensor setting in the firmware's setup menu.[/quote]

I did check this during setup. The sensor was 200psi, and the default in the setup menu was the same.

sandc

#72: Post by sandc »

The OPV seems ok, heating lets the pressure rise to 9bar after the shot - apparently your OPV setting. The first thing to do now is to fix the blown-up membrane regulator. Who knows what that does to the pump.

opet

#73: Post by opet »

Thanks! I'll get on that first thing coming week.

The pump and machine was turned on as soon as water appeared on the counter. Hopefully it's fine.

sandc

#74: Post by sandc »

It doesn't look as if water was sprayed onto the PCB but if that happened, you must dry it immediately (a few minutes with a hair dryer on a not-too-hot setting). Corroded vias can destroy a PCB quickly.

opet

#75: Post by opet »

I managed to get hold of a new membrane regulator. Easier said than done as Jura prohibits any service outfit in Norway from selling parts directly.

Again; mazing piece of hardware/software :) Still digging through menus and getting to know all the possibilities.

This ito wifi setup panel has a protocol page with MQTT options. I managed to connect it to my MQTT server, but I can't find a list or explanation of the available topics. Does this exist anywhere? I found an earlier post in this thread regarding MQTT, but it seems it was written before MQTT was implemented.

sandc

#76: Post by sandc »

opet wrote:ito wifi setup panel has a protocol page with MQTT options. I managed to connect it to my MQTT server, but I can't find a list or explanation of the available topics
MQTT is a feature of the firmware in ito's Wifi microcontroller that is offered to the firmware in ito's AVR microcontroller (where leva! resides) - but that firmware must support it. leva! does not. If you want to control your espresso machine through a home automation server, the only option is to use the telnet protocol to send text commands to ito's TCP/IP port 23. These commands might be interesting:

MCe
MCE
MCa
MCR

They must be sent with CR+LF or LF termination. These commands activate eco mode, activate standby, wake the machine up or post a status report.

A status report is a single line of text that starts with "{" and ends with "}". In between are temperatures, pressure, flow rate, weight, PID settings, on/off state and so on. Example:

{ - 1 PID 035.45 125.0 100 0805.5 0000.0 0000.0 0000.0 000.0000 009.0 060.0 015.0 020.0 ???.?? OFF ???.?? ???.? ??? ????.? ????.? ????.? ????.? ???.???? ???.? ???.? ???.? ???.? ???.? 000 00000 000 001.0 ???.?? ???.?? ???.?? ???.?? ??.?? 04.60 04.20 04.84 ??? ??? ???? ???? ???.? ??.? ~ AD}

The ? stand for undefined values, e.g. the temperature of an uninstalled sensor. To understand such a line, you have to look at the <values> section of the XML configuration file that comes with leva! - currently "leva!-1.4x.xml". It describes which values are at which position in the line, how many characters each comprises and of which type they are (integer, floating point, text). For example, you might find this value description in the XML file:

<value at="6" len="3" type="string">1:%</value> <!-- 0: PID1: control type -->

This means broken down: From character 6 (counting mode: 0, 1, ...), the status report contains a value of type string (i.e. text), which is 3 characters long (len = 3). In the above example it was "PID". According to the comment at the end of the line, this string describes the control strategy of the controller PID 1. Other potential values at this position: PID, ECO, CLD, ATN and OFF. PID and ECO are self-explanatory. OFF means standby. CLD means cold / heating element switched off. ATN means autotuning.

In a home automation software, you would usually fetch the value you are looking for from the status report with a regex. The following expression fetches 3 letters from position 6:

(?<=^.{6}).{3}

tomcat651

#77: Post by tomcat651 »

@sandc

A week back I was testing the temperature delta between my group and boiler and I was having trouble figuring out how to get the desired flowrate to mimic a coffee puck.

I eventually found a solution but I can't remember what it was. Now when I start my machine the pump power is set to 110 deg instead of a bar and I can't figure out how to return it to its normal state. Any suggestions? The pressure profile selected is in bar so something seems to be overriding it at this point.

Thanks!

sandc

#78: Post by sandc »

> Now when I start my machine the pump power is set to 110 deg instead of a bar

At the beginning of shots, when pressure profiling is not yet possible (because pressure can not increase due to compressible air in the system), the leva! firmware lets you set the power of the pump / the flow rate directly. This is configured under Setup->Pressure->Flood. Could it be that you have played with the values in that menu? There, one can set the pump's power and the pressure to transition from flow control to pressure profiling, normally 0.7bar. Pump power is either displayed as phase angle or as flow rate, depending on whether the flow rate test in the run menu has been executed.

Some machines with pressure/flow profiling see the pressure-less phase at the beginning as preinfusion and profile/reduce the flow rate - but since little to no water is infused into the depth of a puck below 0.7bar, that's not really the case. Therefore, I would not recommend to reduce the flow rate. I think it's better, for the temperature profile in the puck, to flood the filter quickly. Also, a phase angle of 110° would be too little power. Most vibe pump stop pumping over 100°. Boiler machines can have big air cushions in the fluid system which must be filled, so reducing the flow at the pump to drops will not be acceptable.

tomcat651

#79: Post by tomcat651 »

>At the beginning of shots, when pressure profiling is not yet possible (because pressure can not increase due to compressible air in the system), the leva! firmware lets you set the power of the pump respectively the flow rate directly. This is configured under Setup->Pressure->Flood. Could it be that you have played with the values in that menu? There, one can set the pump's power (displayed as phase angle or flow rate, depending on whether the flow rate test in the run menu has been executed) and the pressure to transition from flow control to pressure profiling (normally 0.7bar).

I checked that, it is set to .7 bar, and the pump power is set to 0ml/min. Any other suggestions, I'm leaning towards a reset and reconfiguring from scratch.

>Some machines with pressure/flow profiling see the pressure-less phase at the beginning as preinfusion and reduce the flow rate - but since little to no water is infused into the depth of a puck below 0.7bar, that's not really the case. Therefore, I would not recommend to reduce the flow rate. I think it's better, temperature-wise, to flood the system/filter headspace quickly. Also, a phase angle of 110° would be too little power. Most vibe pump stop pumping over 100°. Boiler machines can have big air cushions in the fluid system which must be filled, so reducing the flow at the pump to drops will not be acceptable.

I was just using arbitrary values at that point. I found around 95°to be optimal for testing the delta T between group and boiler as the flow rate was similar to a 30s brew. Good notes on the preinfusion, I'll keep that concept in mind.

sandc

#80: Post by sandc »

> the pump power is set to 0ml/min

Well, that would be wrong (that means no flow). 0° would be full power. Either set the maximum flow rate in ml/s by cycling through the values or, if you prefer to see/set phase angles, uncheck "Setup->Flow meter->Show ml/s" and enter 0°.