ITO/Leva! Controller - Q&A + Experience - Page 19

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
SethPlate

#181: Post by SethPlate »

@sandc
I have downloaded the leva! 3.0 firmware from
https://www.softwareandcircuits.com/div ... nload.html (I did not know I had to log in).
After that, I have tried to flash the new firmware to my ito controller. Unfortunately, I was not able to. The file transfer just does not start and after that the ito controller becomes unresponsive. I had to re-flash it with leva! 2.0 (turned it ON, holding encoder pressed until it starts beeping twice fast).
Now it works again with 2.0 firmware.

Dietmar, what am I doing wrong and why can't I flash leva! 3.0 to it?

sandc

#182: Post by sandc »

> Where can I download

leva! 3.0 is a download on the project caffè! site. Status Monitor 3 for ito is a download on the ito site.

> where did you see it for 15$?

On web sites that offer spare parts for coffee machines (usually not under the name "Digmesa nano" but simply as "flow meter for Bosch VeroCup and Siemens EQ series"), for example here, part no. BSHG10009286

> unpressurised part ... ?

The PP version (PP = plastic) is for the unpressurized part and the expensive versions (brass, inox) are for the pressurized part.

> resistor 4k7 is connected to signal and + capacitor 10N is connected to signal and -

Everything you need to know is explained in the footnote in my last post.

SethPlate

#183: Post by SethPlate »

Thank you, Dietmar. I got it.
I still cannot flash the firmware though. It just won't start the XMODEM file transfer. I am doing it the same as with 2.0, but it just stays at 0% (with 2.0, it starts transferring data immediately). My terminal is properly connected, the flash is formatted with "f" command, I use XMODEM file transfer.
What could be wrong there?

jaibm

#184: Post by jaibm »

Pleased to say that my MIPAN2XX250PSAAX (finally) arrived from Mouser a few weeks ago after being on backorder since April. As discussed this is plug and play with the standard Ito connector, so I was up and running straight away. Fingers crossed that this is third time lucky for me after the last two sensors failed and this will work for a long time.

Perhaps this Sunday I'll install Leva! 3.0 and have a play around with the new flow tracking.

Currently in stock at Mouser if others need.

SethPlate

#185: Post by SethPlate »

Today I have tried to install the flow meter that leva! 3.0 requires. I bought this one:
https://shop.digmesa.com/produkt/flow-sensor-nano/
I have connected it to my controller (I have soldered the original connector to it). I have added 4.7 kOhm resistor and 10nF ceramic capacitor (I have found one that is up to 50V). The schematic I have used is this one (from Digmesa documentation):

The tubing I have connected like this:

I have started the machine, and it began showing some big numbers (for a few seconds it reached 1000 ml). Then I remembered that I need to reset it. Until I manage to do that, the sensor suddenly stopped working (the ito controller registers it, but there were no flow ticks, even though the pump was pumping water). From that point on I could not make it work again, so it is probably damaged.
After that, I installed back my original sensor (the one that came with ito), I have reset it and everything went back to normal.
@sandc
Dietmar, what am I doing wrong? I'd like to ask you for some help.

sandc

#186: Post by sandc »

> have tried to install the flow meter that leva! 3.0 requires

It does not require it.

> The schematic I have used is this one (from Digmesa documentation)

Users are not expected to add any kind of circuit. Just connect the three pins of the flow meter to the three pins of the IMPULSE header of ito, after populating pads R6/C8 of ito as described in the footnote of #179. Of course, the order is essential. The pins of ito's header are described in the manual. Flowmeters have markings on their casing: The supply voltage pin (VCC) is marked by "+". Ground is marked by a "-" or an inverted "T". The output is usually marked by a "#", but the nano depicts a square wave. Because the nano's cable is twisted into a spiral, a multimeter is required to determine which wire goes to which pin after cutting of the JST plug (ping the wires while the cable is disconnected from the flow meter).

> Then I remembered that I need to reset it

All you have to do after installation is to enter the new impulses-per-liter value in the "sensor->flow meter" menu. 48000 for a Digmesa nano (calibration is recommended, mine has over 50000). Otherwise the leva! firmware will translate the huge number of impulses coming from that flow meter into a huge amount of liters and various volume counters will grow very quickly. If that has already happened, reset these counters in the info menu.

> Until I manage to do that, the sensor suddenly stopped working ... the ito controller registers it, but there were no flow ticks

How do you know that it "registers it" if you get no ticks? Anyway, this flow meter will not generate ticks if...

... the two parts (tube and body) are not correctly aligned. That can happen if they fell apart during installation and you did not put them back together correctly. The miniature wheel in the transparent tube must end up exactly before the black hall sensor in the white body.

... if you did not correctly identify input and output side. The markings are explained in the datasheet. Look for the text "inlet" in the drawings.

... if an air bubble or debris is trapped in the flow meter and blocks the wheel.

... if something is wrong with the wiring. Wrong wiring will destroy the nano.

If you go back to the old flow meter with internal 1K2 pull-up, don't forget to remove the 4K7 pull-up that you added for the nano. Otherwise the current at the flow meter pin will be quite high.

sandc

#187: Post by sandc »

The next ito production, last of 2023, is about to begin (infos here).

sandc

#188: Post by sandc »

I recently have equipped my Rancilio with a tablet - for ito and the leva! firmware. Here is a brief description of the solution and the problems encountered. Maybe this will help someone with a similar project.

In my opinion, a nice screen size for a Rancilio Silvia is 8" (16:9 or 16:10). This fits harmoniously with the dimensions of the machine. In the Status Monitor app for ito, everything is easy to read and operate.

My tablet of choice was a Huawei-MediaPad M2 8.0, mainly because it met the minimum requirements of "appealing looks" and "Full HD display" (at least IPS, preferably OLED) at a reasonable price: About 64€ at buyzoxs.de incl. shipping in condition "like new". It offers a bright 8"-1920x1200-16:10 display with 283 ppi - which is, however, at least 5mm smaller all around than it appears in photos, since it does not extend to the edges under the glass. That is a bit disappointing but when using the Status Monitor for ito in dark mode, it is hardly noticeable.

The MediaPad M2 was launched in 2016 and accordingly arrived with Android 6/EMUI4.0. A newer Android will not be available for it, not even in form of Lineage OS. That's not a problem, Android 4.4 is sufficient for ito's Status Monitor app.

Originally, I was planning to install the tablet on top, near the front. I abandoned that plan after some thought, because it gets dangerously hot there for a lithium battery. Also, the cup storage area would have been blocked. It is now installed at the back, on the tank lid. After several attempts with various mounts, I chose a magnetic mount from the automotive sector, ASIN B09BMQXKTH (amazon.de). This is normally clamped to a ventilation fin in a car by a locking screw. I have attached it to the recessed grip of the Silvia's tank lid:

The interfering foremost edge of the rubber on one of the claws, which is designed to grip behind a verntilation fin in the car, can be cut off with scissors:

The claws can grip with high force, thanks to the locking screw, but since rubber always remains in play, this mount is not a wobble-free solution, even after tightening it firmly. On the other hand, the rubber protects the tablet from vibrations, so I accept that. A metal ring supplied with the mount is glued to the back of the tablet. This holds the tablet firmly and reliably in combination with the magnet of the mount.

Refilling the tank has not become more cumbersome with this approach. Grab the tablet and put it down somewhere, along with the still-attached lid. There is no annoying cable because I decided to not install a permanent power supply. The tablet runs with its own generously sized 4,800 mAh battery. It loses little charge between shots, while in standby (display off). It has 650h standby, according to the manufacturer. Recharging will only rarely be necessary.

Those who want to supply their tablet with 5V would have to consider that an ito with HLK-PM01 5V/600mA power supply cannot supply a tablet alongside. This would require another power supply. Also, a charge control app should be installed to prevent battery-damaging operation near 100% charge state. A visible USB cable (plugged in at the side) could be avoided with inductive charging.

The Huawei tablet would be a good choice if there were not the following problems:

- Its bootloader is "locked" and "Allow OEM Unlocking" is missing in the developer menu. TWRP Recovery can therefore not be installed. Root access cannot be gained via this establihed way. Without root, apps like MacroDroid are not fully usable. MacroDroid is an app for programmed control. With it, a tablet could for example automatically turn off when the espresso machine is turned off (= when the wifi connection is lost).

- This tablet shows the lock screen after turning on the display, even after booting. So it always requires an upward swipe to get to the Android interface.

An affordable 8" alternative to the Huawei M2 8.0 could be the "IPlay 50 mini", ASIN B0CBPC37N6 (DE) or B0CBK85CBS (US). Currently sold for 85€/95$. Its IPS display is slightly larger at 8.4", but the overall dimensions are slightly smaller at 202.7x126mm instead of 214.8x124.0mm. Unibody made of metal. Battery life is said to be disappointing. LineageOS is said to be installable. I don't know more than the specs of this tablet. This is therefore not a recommendation, just a tip to try it out. 8" tablets with Full HD have become rare.

Currently, I only use the display to view data, such as monitoring the flow rate when adjusting the grind size. It is not an input device for me. Future versions of the Status Monitor will probably allow you to put your own icons in the border area and associate them with commands for the connected firmware. Then you could put dosing programs, pressure profiles, etc. there.

SethPlate

#189: Post by SethPlate »

@sandc
Very nice setup, Dietmar. I like it very much. I use mine with a display, but my wife insists on the touchscreen, so she uses her smartphone to control the ito. I have finally integrated all components, including the pressure sensor and now everything works as intended. Thanks for the pointers!

sandc

#190: Post by sandc »