ITO/Leva! Controller - Q&A + Experience - Page 13

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jaibm

#121: Post by jaibm »

Many thanks for the in depth explanation Dietmar.

I experienced the same failure mode - constant maximum output.

Sounds like it might be difficult to find a reliable no brand sensor. I had a look but can't find any of the older 7mm sensors, so I'm giving the Honeywell a shot. I have used this PX3 series of sensors in other applications before and they have been trouble free.

It should be here from Mouser within the week and hopefully I can report back some good results. Perhaps this will be a good option for others going forwards.

jaibm

#122: Post by jaibm »

The new sensor arrived last Tuesday, and of course was a simply install with the same thread and connector as the previous sensor. There did not seem to be any offset to take into account even though it is a sealed sensor.

I re-ran the pump pressure test program, and straight away the pressure profiling is running well without any further manual tuning. I've been running the 1 bar preinfusion/9 bar shot all week to great success. Perhaps I'll just need to fine tune the proportional gain a little further to avoid some mild pump oscillations during the preinfusion stage.

Looking forward to delving into some further customisation/experimentation now that all the hardware is up and running :)

sandc

#123: Post by sandc »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll recommend Honeywell sensors (MIP series, not PX3) for the time being. Software & Circuits can provide matching leads and fittings for ito. Hopefully the cheap Chinese transducers will get reliable again soon.

detonate

#124: Post by detonate »

Hello all! I recently started to rebuild my Silvia V6 with the beautiful Ito/Leva! kit. I already can join with a malfunction pressure sensor. After a few hours of testing the sensor is giving max output.

So the PX3 series, like the PX3AN2BS250PAAAX which suits the most i think, is the way to go now in your opinion? Thank you in advance!

sandc

#125: Post by sandc »

> the PX3 series ... is the way to go now in your opinion?

I'd suggest the Honeywell MIP series because it's NSF-certified for beverages. The PX3 series is not recommended for water/steam. Some models from the MIP and PX3 series offer the same electrical connection (Delphi Metripack 150) and threads (1/8" NPT) as the Chinese sensors - which makes those a simple 1:1 replacement. There are of course other pressure sensors that would work just as well, such as the MLH series mentioned in the manual. Those might require a different plug or they might have a different pressure port (for example 1/4" threads). These should be the best matches from the MIP series (no liability assumed):

Honeywell MIPAN2XX200PSAAX (200PSI/13.8bar, NPT 1/8" threads)
Honeywell MIPAN2XX250PSAAX (250PSI/17.2bar, NPT 1/8" threads)
Honeywell MIPAN2XX300PSAAX (300PSI/20.7bar, NPT 1/8" threads)
Honeywell MIPAG1XX016BSAAX (16bar, G1/4 threads)
Honeywell MIPAG1XX020BSAAX (20bar, G1/4 threads)
Honeywell MIPAN1XX016BSAAX (16bar, NPT 1/4" threads)
Honeywell MIPAN1XX020BSAAX (20bar, NPT 1/4" threads)
Honeywell MIPAN1XX200PSAAX (200PSI/13.8bar, NPT 1/4" threads)
Honeywell MIPAN1XX250PSAAX (250PSI/17.2bar, NPT 1/4" threads)
Honeywell MIPAN1XX300PSAAX (300PSI/20.7bar, NPT 1/4" threads)

Cafiza

#126: Post by Cafiza »

Dear Sandc, Dietmar,

A while ago i purchased the ITO kit. After a few months i finally had the time to assemble. It was really nice to do and i liked the package as a whole.

I installed the hardware and flashed the ATM. I went to the quickstart guide of the firmware manual but i experienced a non-functioning pump. Group head valve is working well. I started to check the wiring again and i noticed i switched the N and L phases on the side of the power switch... yes i know... both relays on the ITO are looking fine but i do suspect i short-circuited...

Is it possible to resolder one or both relays on the ITO and fix it? Or are there more components involved in the possible short circuit?

sandc

#127: Post by sandc »

> relays on the ITO are looking fine but i do suspect i short-circuited

A short-circuit current over relay #1, due to a mistake with the connection of mains phases, will destroy it. No flash, no bang, just dead in an instant.

> are there more components involved in the possible short circuit?

Not normally. There is a fuse (F1) but that's too slow to protect a semiconductor from a short-circuit. It should still be ok. The black TVS diode between the pins of the SSR should not be affected. If you have a continuity tester: It should not conduct in any direction.

> Is it possible to resolder one or both relays on the ITO and fix it?

Open a support ticket to have the defective relay replaced by Software & Circuits. Expect costs of 20€ for part & labour (+ shipping). If you can replace it yourself (requires desoldering skills) or have somebody locally who can replace components, here are links for the Omron G3MC-201PL DC5:

https://www.rsonline-privat.de/Products ... -A-8074649

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Omr ... Z93A%3D%3D

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... DC5/368909

Cafiza

#128: Post by Cafiza »

Thank you very much for the explanation and offer to help! I'm glad to hear it is replaceable and i will replace relay #1 in a few days when they arrive!

Cafiza

#129: Post by Cafiza replying to Cafiza »

I can share that i have successfully replaced relay #1. When starting the machine again it fired up the pump like it should! Finally i can experiment with the feature set of Leva!!

As i am rerouting the wiring to make the inside neat and tidy it brings me to another question. As i have a V6 there i have a insulation shield for the boiler. I removed it for application of the Tsic. Now im wondering what are the main disadvantages of using the insulation with a temperature sensor? if i remember correct the manual says not to use it. I can imagine it has a possitive effect on the case temp, something which is even as importent with al the added components.

Pflunz

#130: Post by Pflunz »

I would guess the main disadvantage is for the PID. Since you only can heat the boiler, and not cool, it's not a linear system. You have to wait until the boiler cools down. This means, with a non insulated boiler you can set the PID more aggressive, since an overshot ist not as bad as with an isolated boiler.