ITO/Leva! Controller - Q&A + Experience - Page 11

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sandc

#101: Post by sandc »

> So does that mean no e61 outright?

Sorry, E61 is not my area of expertise. For you to find out.

> Has anyone installed the 'ideal' sensor in the ?m6? threaded hole

Yes. There are wireless pressure sensors with built-in Blueooth LE that have been installed there. leva! would however require a wired sensor. ito has BLE but a wireless connection would be too unreliable and probably too slow for pressure profiling (it would have to have an update rate in the ms range but most of these sensor seem to have 1s update rates).

> Can a PT100 RTD ... be used

No. TSic sensors only. Google thermowell if such a sensor must be installed in a boiler. TSic sensors have better precision because the entire analog part (amplification, analog to digital conversion) is encapsulated in a temperature-compensated factory-calibrated TO92 package. No long wires with sensitive analog signals running through the air to an uncalibrated ADC exposed to fluctuating temperatures.

> If running 'headless' and relying on PC/tablet for control, can the paddle still be used for flow control?

Headless use via the app does not prevent use of an analog paddle but only one method may be selected to control the pump, otherwise the firmware wouldn't know whose commands to follow. That means that if you choose the microswitch of the E61 group, as I assume you would, then you could not enable the paddle. A paddle is an inconvenient way to do pressure profiling. No precision, no repeatability and a lot of work. I recommend to use programmed profiles. The display's rotary encoder can be used for small real-time interactive adjustment (as "digital paddle"), e.g. if the grind is a bit off. A rotary encoder could be installed without display.

> not operating components outside the enclosure ... Is the reason ... a safety limitation rather than engineering?

Both. It's a safety issue and the leads to the display carry a high-frequency SPI bus (several MHz). That leads to a length limit. I don't provide leads longer than 40cm.

_Ryan_

#102: Post by _Ryan_ »

sandc wrote:> So does that mean no e61 outright?

Sorry, E61 is not my area of expertise. For you to find out.
Fair enough, as I'm sure you can appreciate, by the time the kit with sensors reaches Australia it's not a cheap experiment.
Do you know of where(or who?) I can ask the e61 questions?

Repeatable flow control is the interesting part for me.
But if not suitable a manual grouphead flow control device might be more appropriate.

bio_digital_jaz

#103: Post by bio_digital_jaz »

I live in the United States and am interested in purchasing an ITO. I noticed that softwareandcircuits.com only ships within Europe. Does anyone know how I might get one to the states? Any help here is appreciated!

_Ryan_

#104: Post by _Ryan_ » replying to bio_digital_jaz »

Note that the pump control for profiling won't work in the US due to the power frequency.

sandc

#105: Post by sandc »

_Ryan_ wrote:profiling won't work in the US due to the power frequency.
The leva! firmware does pressure profiling with 50hz or 60hz mains power just fine. The power frequency is automatically detected and displayed in the menu. The one thing that US users must consider is that they require thicker power leads due to 110VAC (they must choose 1.5mm², not 1.0mm²). Lower mains voltage means higher currents in appliances to achieve the same wattage.

bio_digital_jaz

#106: Post by bio_digital_jaz »

This is good to know! I am still curious what other US users have done to import the leva? I was looking into package forwarding services, not sure if anyone else has had luck with a forwarder?

_Ryan_

#107: Post by _Ryan_ »

sandc wrote:The leva! firmware does pressure profiling with 50hz or 60hz mains power just fine. The power frequency is automatically detected and displayed in the menu. The one thing that US users must consider is that they require thicker power leads due to 110VAC (they must choose 1.5mm², not 1.0mm²). Lower mains voltage means higher currents in appliances to achieve the same wattage.
That's changed since a few pages back. Good news!

sandc

#108: Post by sandc » replying to _Ryan_ »

Nothing changed, pressure profiling with 60hz pumps has always worked (since leva! 1.6 with improved resolution).

_Ryan_

#109: Post by _Ryan_ » replying to sandc »

I should really check the date of posts Alternative for PID :oops:

mbbrew

#110: Post by mbbrew »

bio_digital_jaz wrote:This is good to know! I am still curious what other US users have done to import the leva? I was looking into package forwarding services, not sure if anyone else has had luck with a forwarder?
I'm also super interested in one if there is a way to get multiple into the US.