Is Whole Latte Love mistaken? Part not in production?!?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BKSinAZ

Postby BKSinAZ » Jan 12, 2019, 1:28 pm

Shortly before Christmas 2018 I bought a ECM Tecknika lV Profi w/ rotary pump.
After a few uses, I noticed chrome peeling from the steam valve assembly. Please see pictures that I sent.

Whole Latte Love agreed to replace the part, but then they insist that the original part is no longer in production.
Instead they want to send me this ugly replacement. Please see pictures below.

I dont know about you all, but I selected my ECM due to two variables... 1) quality 2) Aesthetics. New replacement part
is ugly.
Can anyone confirm if Whole Latte Love is in error?
I am tempted to ask for a refund or complete unit exchange.

HB
Admin

Postby HB » Jan 12, 2019, 1:50 pm

BKSinAZ wrote:Can anyone confirm if Whole Latte Love is in error?.

For what it's worth, the replacement one looks like the one from the ECM owner's manual (page 7):

The note says "MECHANIKA / TECHNIKA and the MECHANIKA PROFI / TECHNIKA PROFI differ in terms of execution their valves. The MECHANIKA / TECHNIKA has rotary valves, the MECHANIKA PROFI / TECHNIKA PROFI has lever valves (see photo right)" (translated from German).
Dan Kehn

greggers89

Postby greggers89 » Jan 12, 2019, 2:33 pm

Looking at Whole Latte Love's page, the valve they're offering seems to match the pictures of the machine. Also, you might be on the hook for shipping charges if you try to return it, which might be ~$100 each way for this machine. Some places charge a 5-10% "restocking" fee (since they can't sell it as new anymore) but it doesn't seem like WLL does, so that is nice.

Their FAQ says:
"For a standard merchandise return, your refund will be issued less our original cost of shipping the product to you and any fees or charges associated with accepting delivery of the shipment (if applicable)."

Is there a manufacture date anywhere on the machine? Or maybe you can contact ECM to see when it was manufactured? Maybe ECM will tell you that they had to change the part design because it was chipping :) Maybe you can ask WLL for a replacement valve for the water outlet as well, so that everything is symmetrical, then it would look just like the picture on WLL's website.

BKSinAZ

Postby BKSinAZ » Jan 12, 2019, 2:36 pm

Naturally, if the part is truly no longer in production, I will accept the newer replacement.

I am now curious, can I just replace the part that is peeling OR do I have to replace the entire assembly?

BaristaBoy E61

Postby BaristaBoy E61 » Jan 12, 2019, 2:38 pm

That's disappointing. You would have to change both steam & hot water to retain the same 'look' for both spigots. You might also see if the defective one can be easily re-chromed locally. Perhaps there's a custom automotive or motorcycle shop that can point you in the right direction.

Any 'Harley' dealerships near by?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

BKSinAZ

Postby BKSinAZ » replying to BaristaBoy E61 » Jan 12, 2019, 2:40 pm

I was thinking the same as you. Receive the new replacement parts, but also keep the original for re chroming locally.

Todd Salzman
Sponsor

Postby Todd Salzman » Jan 14, 2019, 5:47 pm

Hello Bryan, I am sorry to say my folks made an error when they told you we did not have them. I'm happy to say that we do the valves and I am happy to replace it. I have not see this issue before so I would like to get the part back after we get you the replacement so I can show it to manufacturer. I'll be visiting with them in a couple weeks and I'll bring it with me. I'll e mail you with my mobile number so we can get this set up. Thanks for your patience!
Todd Salzman
Whole Latte Love

chipman

Postby chipman » Jan 14, 2019, 6:10 pm

How awesome of service is that?

BKSinAZ

Postby BKSinAZ » Jan 14, 2019, 8:56 pm

Todd Salzman wrote:Hello Bryan, I am sorry to say my folks made an error when they told you we did not have them. I'm happy to say that we do the valves and I am happy to replace it. I have not see this issue before so I would like to get the part back after we get you the replacement so I can show it to manufacturer. I'll be visiting with them in a couple weeks and I'll bring it with me. I'll e mail you with my mobile number so we can get this set up. Thanks for your patience!

As per our conversation over the phone, thank you again.