Is there such a thing as a "bad" Italian espresso machine?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
slipchuck

#1: Post by slipchuck »

Almost every Italian machine discussed on this forum seems to get high approval rating.
Is the such thing as a bad model to stay away from?

Thanks

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

desmodici

#2: Post by desmodici »

Not that I have an answer, but to clarify your question, bad as in quality/reliability or bad as in poor performance etc.? I think if you break it down a little more there are likely machines that have reputation to be more/less reliable than others and ones that perform better in different situations/different needs. Would also be helpful to clarify price point (e.g. I'm sure there are really bad machine sir you're looking to spend no more than $500). The question as it stands is a little too broad

aecletec

#3: Post by aecletec »

Enrico of Italy?

kize

#4: Post by kize »

The bad Italian espresso machine- is the one you don't own.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

aecletec wrote:Enrico of Italy?
Beat me to it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

wachuko

#6: Post by wachuko »

aecletec wrote:Enrico of Italy?
Yikes.... just saw a couple of videos of it... I think that I can make better coffee in my krups...

Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

.. and I HAVE made better espresso with my Krups 863, $12 thrift store find. To be fair, it was made in Switzerland.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Tonefish

#8: Post by Tonefish »

Sadly, my Mr Coffee - Caffe Ristorante "espresso and cappuccino" maker from the 80's was made in Italy. It cannot make espresso.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

cuppajoe

#9: Post by cuppajoe »

slipchuck wrote:Almost every Italian machine discussed on this forum seems to get high approval rating.
Is the such thing as a bad model to stay away from?

Thanks

Randy
If asking due to a potential new purchase and looking for a 'pro-sumer' machine, I would research who has good support in your area for any you are considering. Also be aware that all the big name Italian companies market consumer end products, usually made by someone else with their name slapped on it.

As far as picking something up second hand, try to stay with relatively newer machines with support in your area. Unless you are handy and enjoy fiddling with stuff it's best to avoid most machines used in a commercial setting. Sourcing parts and service info for vintage gear can be a challenge.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

ash4889

#10: Post by ash4889 »

Lelit Mara