Is the new La Marzocco GS3 out of production? - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
malachi

#31: Post by malachi »

Thanks Barry.
I think both of your explanations are true, accurate and well-stated.
What's in the cup is what matters.

another_jim
Team HB

#32: Post by another_jim »

Woofy wrote:If the street price for such a machine were in the $3000-$3500 range, I bet LM would easily dominate that portion of the espresso machine market.

From a manufacturing standpoint, the only additional tooling costs would be those associated with substituting a simplified control panel piece for the more complex one to be used on the upcoming GS3. All the other parts unique to the form factor of the machine are already tooled up for production of the GS3. If nothing else, it's fodder for thought...LM, if you're reading this, consider this your clue.
At decent volumes, the electronics is almost no cost, so simplifying the controls is not going to much reduce LM's cost. The real cost is inherent in the package size and the use of stainless-- fabricating oddly shaped pieces in stainless steel is expensive, even at volume. The street price will heavily depend on how good a deal they get on that from their suppliers.

Advertisement
malachi

#33: Post by malachi »

And given that stainless prices have, in the last 18 months, increased... what? 300%? 500%?
Yikes.
What's in the cup is what matters.

another_jim
Team HB

#34: Post by another_jim replying to malachi »

Mark mentioned they were thinking of redesigning the package (hope they don't, since this one is so cool); perhaps it's to go to simpler rectangular or cylindircal boilers, rather than the oval shapes I made out when Bill opened the machine up at the SCAA.

I think stainless is the wave of the future for espresso machines. There is probably a slight benefit to the taste, especially in a machine with a large brew boiler. I get fairly large TDS increases in my steam boiler from leached brass, smaller ones in the small HX. But with a large brass brew boiler, there probably would be 50 ppm metal leaching in the brew water. Stainless is probably easier to maintain down the line, although brass is pretty durable too -- at least my stainless pots are a lot less of a pita than the copper ones.

AndyS

#35: Post by AndyS »

Woofy wrote: I doubt many consumers would object if the machine was offered only as a semi-auto if it included a quality PID-based brew boiler temp control and conventional (Sirai) pressurestat regulating the steam/hot water boiler. If the street price for such a machine were in the $3000-$3500 range, I bet LM would easily dominate that portion of the espresso machine market.

From a manufacturing standpoint, the only additional tooling costs would be those associated with substituting a simplified control panel piece for the more complex one to be used on the upcoming GS3.
Eliminating the flowmeter might save LM $25. Controlling the steam boiler with a pressurestat would probably cost them more than the temperature sensor/Gicar brainbox combo they're using now -- plus it would be a lot less reliable. Eliminating a couple control buttons...I think they're going to do that anyway.

Basically, your suggestions wouldn't make a "GS-2.9" significantly more affordable. I suppose you could make it $150 cheaper by putting in a (yuck) vibe pump. :(
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company