Is it faulty? New Izzo Alex Duetto unlevel on bench

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Pkerr19

#1: Post by Pkerr19 »

Hello,

With a fair amount of reading on this site I settled on a new Izzo Duetto today and shelled out A$4,700.

Having got it home, I've attached the legs and found that when all 4 are screwed in fully, the front left (as it faces me) is sitting around 5mm off the bench. This means the machine sits 'wonky' on the bench, enough to be noticed by the naked eye.

I got out the spirit level to test the bench and the machine and results showed bench straight, machine not. Seems that it is higher on the rear and left, as though the whole frame is bent.

With a bit of playing with partially unscrewing the other legs, I've got it sitting straight BUT this seems to me like a fairly shonky bit of engineering for the money I've paid.

Just wondering peoples opinions on if this is normal or do I have a faulty machine? I'd really appreciate your thoughts and experience.

Giampiero

#2: Post by Giampiero »

Maybe the machine suffered a non pleasant transportation?
Maybe 1 or more feet is not perfectly the same length?

Advertisement
borrik

#3: Post by borrik »

Try to loosen the panel screws (ones that attaching brushed metal panels to the frame). The frame is flexible and side panels is what that make whole thing rigid. Machine then will settle a bit and you could tighten the screws back.

Since this machine is brand new, maybe its better first to contact customer service and ask what they think.

Generally, machine (and especially group head ) should be leveled well in both axes, for even extraction.

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

For all of a ½mm, I would shim the legs that required loosening to level the machine with appropriately sized washers to be able to tighten those legs properly so that the machine is level and the legs tight and call it a day.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

Put the machine up on blocks [or 4 generic ceramic Italian espresso cups] and check the bottom frame for true with a straight edge. If it's not true, you may have a warranty or shipping claim depending on the error.

As mentioned, the group face should be level in both planes. You will chase your tail trying to correct off centre pours if the face isn't level. If it's level in both planes with a shim under one foot, keep the shim.

If you decide you want to true it, loosen boiler, group and pipe connections before straightening. It's pretty easy to true the frame if you have some wood blocks, long levers and an assistant. Go slow and don't over do it.

Eagleboy99

#6: Post by Eagleboy99 »

My Pro 300 was like that.

Pkerr19 (original poster)

#7: Post by Pkerr19 (original poster) »

Sorry, should have said 5mm or 0.5cm. It's quite a lot

Advertisement
cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

5mm is likely shipping damage