Intermatic Timer

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Nonprophet

#1: Post by Nonprophet »

Definitely not a morning person, at least not until I've had my coffee :D :D It takes my Elektra T1 at least 45 mins to warm up, and rather than get up out of bed and turn it on, I decided to try a timer. Wound up buying an Intermatic HB113. Not fancy, won't connect to my smartphone or do my taxes, but it's the only 20amp timer that I could find, and at $12 it's hard to beat the price. Doesn't seem to make sense to run the machine at 2/3's power with a 15amp timer. Old school for sure, but it works....

Only real problem I can see is that I'm assuming that I now have virtually no GFCI protection as the T1 plugs into the timer and the timer is what plugs into the outlet.....

"Chop your own wood--it will warm you twice."

LMWDP #522

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I'm assuming that I now have virtually no GFCI protection as the T1 plugs into the timer and the timer is what plugs into the outlet
Your GFCI works on anything downstream from it. You have protection when the timer is switched on. Of course, when the timer is off you have no GFCI protection, but then the timer also cuts off all the power, rendering the machine safe.

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Also be mindful that any interruption of power to the timer throws the clock off and you might not have coffee when you thought you would!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Also be mindful that any interruption of power to the timer throws the clock off and you might not have coffee when you thought you would..
Or 'have coffee' when you don't want the machine on!
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

The prohphet has arrived: :D

New Wi-Fi 20amp smart outlet

Post #29 - I just wanted to thank the OP for drawing my attention to this product and say that I've been using the ConnectSense 20amp smart outlet connected to a Quick Mill Vetrano 2B running in 20amp mode. It's been working great now for a couple of weeks! A very nice upgrade from the Intermatic timer I was using.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

IamOiman
Team HB

#6: Post by IamOiman »

I use the same timer for my Bosco/biggie machines. It works as expected and if I am done early I just switch off the machine and turn it on after my designated turn off time. I have it connected to a GFCI outlet but as others have said if you have at least one GFCI outlet on the line all other outlets down the line also will have GFCI protection.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Nonprophet (original poster)

#7: Post by Nonprophet (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:The prohphet has arrived: :D

New Wi-Fi 20amp smart outlet

Post #29 - I just wanted to thank the OP for drawing my attention to this product and say that I've been using the ConnectSense 20amp smart outlet connected to a Quick Mill Vetrano 2B running in 20amp mode. It's been working great now for a couple of weeks! A very nice upgrade from the Intermatic timer I was using.
Looks nice, but not for $99.......

LMWDP #522

Advertisement

#8: Post by Nonprophet (original poster) »

IamOiman wrote:I use the same timer for my Bosco/biggie machines. It works as expected and if I am done early I just switch off the machine and turn it on after my designated turn off time. I have it connected to a GFCI outlet but as others have said if you have at least one GFCI outlet on the line all other outlets down the line also will have GFCI protection.
I'm not so sure about that. Twice now, while adjusting my expansion valve, I bumped the hot water wand and spilled a bit of water onto the red power light which promptly tripped the GFCI. My understanding is that GFCI outlets/circuits work because they detect the short in milliseconds and trip.

But in order for it to work with the machine plugged into the timer which is plugged into the GFCI is for the GFCI to detect the short THROUGH the timer, and I'm not sure that would happen....

I'll ask an electrician friend of mine--he'll know.

I'm not super worried about it as we have rubber anti-fatigue mats on the kitchen floor near where the espresso machine is located, but, they could get wet.....

LMWDP #522

LObin

#9: Post by LObin »

Nonprophet wrote:I'm not so sure about that. Twice now, while adjusting my expansion valve, I bumped the hot water wand and spilled a bit of water onto the red power light which promptly tripped the GFCI. My understanding is that GFCI outlets/circuits work because they detect the short in milliseconds and trip.
Every espresso manufacturer/seller recommend doing maintenance work with the machine unplugged from the wall. When it comes to espresso machine, it seems we all have a tendency to learn the hard way. Myself included... :shock:

I have the same timer switch for my 220v Londinium. I can't comment on GFCI protection since I haven't done any maintenance with my machine on, pressurized and plugged in. I'll try it and report back :lol:
Kidding...
LMWDP #592

#10: Post by Nonprophet (original poster) replying to LObin »

Yep solid advice IF you can accomplish what you're trying to do with the machine unplugged. Unfortunately, you can't adjust the expansion valve without having the machine plugged in a up to pressure--at least not with my machine :)

LMWDP #522