Installing Shurflo Accumulator?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dawgcatching

#1: Post by dawgcatching »

I just purchased a Shurflo accumulator from EPNW, but it came w/o instructions. How do I set it up? Do I need to pressurize it, or just go to Home Depot, buy the plastic NPT adapter, and hook it to the rotary-pump metal hose?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I don't have one, but according to the online installation instructions:
The standard accumulator is pre-charged to 20 psi [1.4 bar] at the factory for ground shipment. Do not exceed this pressure for long-term storage, shipping, or during system non-use. Accumulators with more than 40 psi [2.7 bar] pre-charge and no liquid pressure may damage the bladder.
It goes on to explain how to check the pressure, etc. It wasn't on google's first page, but I knew from previous visits to Shurflo's site that they have a good collection of PDFs.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
dawgcatching (original poster)

#3: Post by dawgcatching (original poster) »

Thanks for the link. So, with that in mind, what would be the setting for a rotary pump? It says to set at operating pressure: if the pressure is 9.5 bar on the pump, then I set it to approximately 140psi? Or, should I set it at the inlet pressure of the FloJet (30psi)?

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

dawgcatching wrote:Or, should I set it at the inlet pressure of the FloJet (30psi)?
As I read Beverage Applications in the installation instructions, it should be 30 PSI. That is, the minimum desired pressure at the pump inlet / maximum reserve storage capacity. The installation order is Water bottle --> Flojet --> Shurflo Accumulator --> Machine.
Dan Kehn

skyryders90

#5: Post by skyryders90 »

I recently got one of these and installed it today at its default 20 psi setting. WOW. It makes an ENORMOUS difference in pressure stability and noise from the FloJet pump. Before, the FloJet was by FAR the loudest part of my setup. Now, the pump comes on much less frequently, and when it does, it is MUCH quieter. Anyone out there using a FloJet should give one of these a try.

hed1117

#6: Post by hed1117 »

Hi Steve,

When I purchased my Vetrano I was given a Flojet as a Christmas gift. I haven't had occasion to use it yet as my machine is plumbed in to my (filtered) kitchen water supply. But I am curious as to whether the accumulator is meant to be used - when plumbing a 5 gal container - in conjunction with the Flojet or to replace it entirely.

skyryders90

#7: Post by skyryders90 »

In conjunction with, without a doubt. The accumulator is intended to smooth out the pressure swing on a pressurized line. If you're plumbing out of a container, there's no pressure unless you're creating it with some kind of demand pump (in this case, a FloJet).