Install a PID on my Vibiemme Junior DB? - Page 7

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rennix

Postby rennix » Nov 23, 2010, 5:09 pm

For the Vibiemme people: Since the portafilters don't come with end caps I have found a nice little solution. Accidentally found some end caps at Lowe's, measured holes, went back today and bought them.

~$1 each, hardware aisle in the drawers. Superglued them in carefully, had to bend the tabs a bit. 7/8" size Hillman metal hole plugs.

Looks much better!

Sir Anselm

Postby Sir Anselm » Dec 07, 2010, 1:55 am

Hello people! I contacted Auberins and got a detailed description on how to PID the Vibiemme. It's a PDF and you can find it here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=1mfQkbtBsCKzqsOJc_w1Bx2-i5dssm3GClyl-z8k7N5_DxZZ_i0wNniBjtJwh&hl=sv&authkey=COuQldsN

So now to order parts and find the time to actually do it!

expy98

Postby expy98 » Dec 14, 2010, 9:10 pm

erics wrote:Roberto, that's very good detective work - some readers of this thread should be thanking you.

indeed!!! I've just received my "kit" from Auber. Pls contact Auber for your commission :-)

Thanks for the exc detective work.

erics

Postby erics » Dec 14, 2010, 9:32 pm

I talk to Auber all the time and will see what we can do about a payback :D

I have read the pdf referred to earlier and am reposting this pic that Jan posted earlier:

The thread size on the Auber RTD is M12 x 1 . While that is certainly a valid size, the 1.0 mm pitch is a very rare item. So, while removing piece A in the pic is relatively easy, be a little careful with piece B. The male thread on piece B would need to be M12 x 1 for a proper RTD fit. Call me a "doubting thomas" as I will believe it when I see it. Pics from you will be appreciated.

The female threads in piece B obviously accept the Prodigy thermostat bulb just fine. I do believe those threads are (as I said in a previous post) PG 7 threads which would have a metric designation of M12.5 x 1.27 .
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at erols dot com

Sir Anselm

Postby Sir Anselm » Dec 15, 2010, 3:09 am

expy98 wrote:indeed!!! I've just received my "kit" from Auber. Pls contact Auber for your commission :-)

Thanks for the exc detective work.

Awesome! Please report on your progress with the actual install. I think I will hold off until after the holidays, too much to do already :mrgreen:

expy98

Postby expy98 » Dec 21, 2010, 8:23 pm

Unfor, for me, Eric is spot on!!!

The Auber RTD is about 1/2 mm too small (using a 12mm open ended wrench, the stock unit's thread fits the wrench but the Auber RTD wiggles a little bit), it drops straight thru the boiler w/out engaging any of the threads. I sure hope Auber has the correct RTD. Not sure why the RTD in the PDF works...

I've called Auber but they're closed for the day. Now to put it back together til I get the correct RTD...

erics

Postby erics » Dec 21, 2010, 8:34 pm

I gaaaarantee you, this adventure will have a happy ending for all. Give me a call at 301-587-5033 till midnight EST and take some pics.
Skål,

Eric S.

expy98

Postby expy98 » Dec 22, 2010, 8:52 pm

Eric's gaaaarantee is getting really close... happy ending is in sight...

After sending pics to Eric and opening Jr back up again to get some actual measurements,
it seems that M12x1 WOULD be correct however the probe I've received measured
11.6mm, the B piece measured just at 12mm. 1mm is def the correct pitch.

Now to put Jr back together hopefully for the last time, til I get the correct probe that is.
Then I get to call Eric a Doubting Thomas!!! :-)

erics

Postby erics » Dec 22, 2010, 11:24 pm

So, the facts are thus: I was wrong on the threading of the Vibiemme Junior brew boiler. It is, in fact, M12 x 1 which is (of course) a valid thread size and pitch but is very, very rare. So rare that McMaster-Carr, the infamous internet hardware store, does not stock any M12 x 1 bolts/screws/nuts in any material.

The Auber RTD is advertised as M12 x 1 but, in fact, it is undersized slightly. This undersize situation was (again, obviously) overcome by the author of the referenced pdf document in some way but is NOT a chance I would take. All threaded products have tolerances but this one exceeds the specified range by enough to make installation risky - at least for now.
Skål,

Eric S.

Sir Anselm

Postby Sir Anselm » Dec 23, 2010, 5:03 am

This is bad news indeed... :cry: