Inexpensive Temperature Controller - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

A note on these units' availability: They do not ship immediately; mine's scheduled for 12/28.

skyryders90

#12: Post by skyryders90 replying to another_jim »

Do you have the specific part number? It's not at all clear to me which ones on there are "low deadband" - I was told yesterday that the CEME with the adjustable deadband was, in fact, the "low deadband" model simply because you could crank the deadband down.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

another_jim wrote:A note on these units' availability: They do not ship immediately; mine's scheduled for 12/28.
Odd, I ordered mid day the 21st, it shipped that evening and arrived today.

If I understand this correctly, I have the two type K TC inputs (+ and -), two power supply inputs and a NC (normally closed) COM (common) and NO (normally open).

The + and - probe inputs are straight forward. I purchased the 115Vac unit so I can power this right off the 110 line on my power switch. I am not sure about what I should hook up to the NC, COM, and NO line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, photos are even better. I don't want to release the 'blue smoke of mystery' from the box or my machine.

I have the next few days off work so I can pick up a TC line tomorrow, drill and tap my boiler, mount the omegalock fitting and probe with ease. But I could use a hand to make sure I get my lines correct. I will take photos of the process, test and post the results if you can give me a hand on the wiring.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

cannonfodder wrote: I am not sure about what I should hook up to the NC, COM, and NO line.
This set is the output -- a switch. COM is attached to the power. NO (normally open) is the side of the switch that is open when the relay is denergized and closed when it's energized. The NC contact is the other side of the switch and is closed when the relay coil is denergized. I read the documentation: "the output is on" to mean the coil is energized, and that you connect to the NO side if you follow the heating and cooling declarations in the setup parameters as outlined. However, I personally would take an ohmmeter to the contacts, and just run it on the bench at room temperature to make sure.

Why is it everytime I bang the drum for a product, I'm always the last to get it? Maybe I should just shut up.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#15: Post by cannonfodder »

Thanks Jim, makes sense now. I don't know why I got this one before you. Did you order the same model TCS-5010?

I have to run back to work to get my lever machine and I will get it put together tomorrow. I will post the results on my PID lever machine thread.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#16: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

I got the 5011, I'll put up with farenheit if it gets me the thing a month earlier! Come to think of it, it makes for a tighter deadband too.

I'll be interested to read your result.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#17: Post by cannonfodder »

I was wondering if you went with Celsius. Their web still showed it as not a normal stock item, guess I just got lucky.
Dave Stephens

barry

#18: Post by barry »

jim,

don't fret the ship date. when i ordered mine a few months ago the indicated ship date was a couple of weeks out but the controllers showed up in a couple of days. iirc, they ship out of chicago, so you should have it pronto.

Team HB

#19: Post by another_jim (original poster) replying to barry »

Thanks for the tip. I emailed them to check; so I'll know what's happening soon. In the mean time, I'm practicing my 5/9ths multiplication table.

lennoncs

#20: Post by lennoncs »

another_jim wrote:
Cool? How much? I'm looking for a dual loop cascade controller for my roaster.
Hi Jim,
I missed this post somehow :oops:

here is a link to their page for the dual loop control http://www.love-controls.com/controls/3 ... frame.html

I will get a price today.

Sean