Inexpensive cup tray/stand for espresso machine?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Moka 1 Cup

#1: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Having to stay at home more time than usual and having nothing better to do, I thought about asking other members if they use a cup stand when they pull their espresso.

The group head of the Breville Dusl Boiler is quite high, for this reason I have been looking for one, something like the one in the picture, but usually they run for more that I wanted to spend.

So finally I have resorted to using the bottom half of one of my Bialetti Moka pots, one that I unfortunately managed to screw up and I cannot use anymore. It's made with aluminum but it is thick and solid.

Single cups moka pots run from $10 and up on Amazon, so they definitely meet my definition of inexpensive stand.

But I wanted to see any alternative that you guys use, if any.

Here is my stand:

Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

LVD

#2: Post by LVD »

The cheapest method I've seen used is to put a cappuccino/latte cup face down on the drip tray and place your espresso cup on top of it.

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:Having to stay at home more time than usual and having nothing better to do, I thought about asking other members if they use a cup stand when they pull their espresso.

But I wanted to see any alternative that you guys use, if any.
I just use a scale.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

DaveB
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by DaveB »

Curious why you would want the cup closer, especially when using a spouted portafilter filter - which I think would be essentially splatter-proof even with a poorly prepared puck.

On the occasions I use my spouted (split shots for tasting with friends or half-shot affogatos), there's only 1/2" to 1" clearance. Even without the 3/4" high scale there wouldn't be very much room:

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Moka 1 Cup

#5: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

To answer your question:
I am the only one that uses a scale, and by the way I am using it less often than before, just because I do not really needed it other than for when we try new beans. We drink one brand of coffee only, and we always use the same espresso cups, we don't really need the scale anymore other than for when we want to "play" a little bit. Just grind, tamp, pull the shot, drink and enjoy. I think you know the idea behind making an everyday espresso.
By not using the scale, or any other kind of support, some "splatter" always occur with both the spouted and the naked portafilter.
That's why I began using a stand. It just makes it even easier. Furthermore, my scale is quite low profile. So it does not really make a big difference.

Regardless, while I like my new "Moka stand" I'm still interested in seeing what others use, in case they use a stand of course.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

myso

#6: Post by myso »

i don't use these but a quick search brought these up to me. Feel free to search for similar keywords for possibly cheaper for the same thing. 5 an 10cm high. You can also cut the handle of fries basket and use it upside down.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33045385487.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33008006719.html

cxmudandrocknroll

#7: Post by cxmudandrocknroll »

hockey puck?

yakster
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by yakster » replying to cxmudandrocknroll »

You can tamp on it too.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

belegnole

#9: Post by belegnole »

How about a wire or mesh drawer organizer? They come in a variety of sizes and aren't very expensive. Plus they're available all over the place.
LMWDP #641