In search of Moriondo's espresso machine - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pootoogoo (original poster)

#21: Post by pootoogoo (original poster) »

"Lighter shade of gray intruding into the standing persons left arm" is certainly a Slayer. :lol:

pootoogoo (original poster)

#22: Post by pootoogoo (original poster) »

bidoowee wrote:Great work as always Dr. P.
You realize however, that now you'll have to find a real one ;)
T
Who knows ?
But my hope is that somebody else (much wiser than me on the "real stuff" search) will find it... or realize that he already owns it. :wink:

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
happycat

#23: Post by happycat »

I found this helpful for context to place Moriondo, Bezzera, Pavoni, Gaggia, Faema...

The Long History of the Espresso Machine
Smithsonian magazine
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... 14/?no-ist
LMWDP #603

drgary
Team HB

#24: Post by drgary »

OldNuc wrote:Asbestos protected by wood slats was a common technique for insulating boilers. I suspect some of the polished metal or nickle/chrome plated machines were just the outer jacket with the actual boiler well insulated underneath.
That makes sense. I was trying to wrap my head around the idea Moriondo was doing something decorative with that.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#25: Post by OldNuc »

Post 18 shows a period boiler with that type of lagging. To the right in that picture is the actual steam engine and the item on the stand is the steam admission valve or throttle.

AssafL

#26: Post by AssafL » replying to OldNuc »

Wow. I was trying to find the engine on the right. I admit I didn't see it...

Do you think it is a vertical stroke engine and the part on the right is the steam cylinder (which would make the small valve the upper steam cock?)? Why would it be square? Perhaps it is the steam box (which would make the rod going downwards the valve rod)? That would mean that the shaft is under the floor.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Paul_Pratt

#27: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Brilliant detective work and a great story.

Who knows if there are examples around. When you think that there are a lot of pre WW2 machines still being found it does give some hope. But the vertical column machines were works of art so people may have seen some merit in keeping them.

Now it has been identified the chances of discovery have increased dramatically.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
OldNuc

#28: Post by OldNuc »

AssafL wrote:Wow. I was trying to find the engine on the right. I admit I didn't see it...

Do you think it is a vertical stroke engine and the part on the right is the steam cylinder (which would make the small valve the upper steam cock?)? Why would it be square? Perhaps it is the steam box (which would make the rod going downwards the valve rod)? That would mean that the shaft is under the floor.
It is probably a 2 cylinder machine and vertical. The only part showing is the steam chest top and the reversing gear. These vertical boiler 2 cylinder engines are rather a common design used in small logging locomotives, boats, and early street cars.

OldNuc

#29: Post by OldNuc »

Paul_Pratt wrote:Brilliant detective work and a great story.

Who knows if there are examples around. When you think that there are a lot of pre WW2 machines still being found it does give some hope. But the vertical column machines were works of art so people may have seen some merit in keeping them.

Now it has been identified the chances of discovery have increased dramatically.
Now that hard evidence exists of the existence of actual machines finding examples will be much easier as they are unique looking machines. They could be easily confused with a vertical boiler used for supplying steam for a small single cylinder steam engine.

happycat

#30: Post by happycat »

Perhaps a crowdsourcing campaign with the photos and 3d models. Twitter, Italian coffee companies with resources like Ily.

Who is likely to run into the machines? What are the media sources and contacts they relate to?
LMWDP #603