IMS Competition vs VST vs Breville basket?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
romaen

#1: Post by romaen »

Hello!

Right know I am doing single shots (LM basket) and I like it, but I would also like to test doubles.
I have the Breville double basket, but I am not sure if I should also get a IMS/VST basket. Which of those three would you guys recommend?

pcrussell50

#2: Post by pcrussell50 »

I don't have an IMS basket. But I have Breville baskets and VST baskets. And I use both. They are both high quality, but they "handle" completely differently, with the VST flowing much faster, requiring a finer grind to prevent gushers. And unless you have a flow profiling machine or one where you can program a gentle pre infusion, (like your Breville), the VST baskets are more finicky and channel prone. The upside is that if you are doing espressos that taste best with the highest extraction yield, the fast flowing, fine grind characteristics of the VST are what you want. Since you have a BDB, if you find you are getting channeling too often despite doing meticulous prep, (RDT/grind/WDT), you can soften up your pre infusion pressure and increase the duration and hopefully that will help.

If you use a variety of coffees as I do, you might want one or the other basket, depending. And that is why I have both.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

John49

#3: Post by John49 »

I prefer the Reneka Micro sieve basket over the VST.

romaen (original poster)

#4: Post by romaen (original poster) »

Thanks for your replys!

Is there a rule of thumb? Something like: the lighter the roast - the finer should be the coffee grind - or vice versa (for lighter roast the VST basket and for darker the Breville?)

John, why do you prefer the Reneka Micro sieve basket?

John49

#5: Post by John49 »

With the Micro sieve there is less fines that end up in the cup and a cleaner taste.