Identify old Gaggia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
georgemvg

#1: Post by georgemvg » Apr 27, 2018, 2:35 pm

This is an old Gaggia that step on it. One picture shows the portafilter that is about 15-20 cm ! Any ideas about the model?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary » May 09, 2018, 1:10 am

Sorry that no one has replied. I wonder if it's a hydraulic machine or a hoteling type of group. Hydraulic machines typically used water pressure to drive a piston. This one seems different because of the large portafilter with a taper. There is a photo of a Gaggia from the 1930's on their site that shows something predating a piston lever.

https://www.gaggia.com/n-m-co/espresso/the-story
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Alan Frew

#3: Post by Alan Frew » May 09, 2018, 2:50 am

Variation on a "Hotel Group", maybe?

Alan

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc » May 09, 2018, 9:04 am

Looks to be a hotel group machine. Name plate and boiler numbers would be useful to aid identification.

pootoogoo

#5: Post by pootoogoo » May 09, 2018, 1:58 pm

A group named "Reserva" - 3 Liters for hotels. restaurants, etc. (equivalent to Hotel groups).
Production year: 1957.

Paul_Pratt

#6: Post by Paul_Pratt » May 09, 2018, 9:29 pm

Gaggia Tipo America with hotel group. Never seen one before so interesting to see it just bolts onto the main boiler as normal and has a coiled pipe arrangement presumably to cool the water down for bulk brewing.

SJM

#7: Post by SJM » May 09, 2018, 9:32 pm

What IS a hotel group?

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary » replying to SJM » May 09, 2018, 9:45 pm

It is for brewing a large quantity of coffee in a similar strength to an Americano or pourover, as opposed to the concentrated beverage we know as espresso. Think of coffee pot coffee served in a hotel dining area.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!