I'm thinking a Flow Control Device isn't worthwhile for my Appartamento...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jtferraro

#1: Post by jtferraro »

I'm thinking a FCD isn't worthwhile for my Appartamento, since I don't want to give up my thermometer. Thoughts?

In the meantime, I'd love to at least be able to check my machine's brew pressure. I was going to order a brew pressure gauge, but since I only need it to check (and subsequently adjust) the machine's brew pressure, I'd rather not purchase one. While looking at BP gauges, I noticed most FCDs include the BPG...which has me considering going that route. Ultimately, as others have pointed out, I feel temperature has more of an impact on taste in the cup than does pressure profiling, so I'm now thinking the FCD wouldn't be a worthwhile investment on my HX machine. Thoughts? Maybe it's time to finally upgrade (after I nail down any potential brew pressure related issues). Unless, of course, there's finally a way to implement both a temperature and BPG gauges on an E61's neck.

Thanks team,
-Jeff

mckolit

#2: Post by mckolit »

The smart espresso profiler has a wye that they sell.
https://www.naked-portafilter.com/produ ... -profiler/
There was a similar thread asking about this, not sure if they got an answer about the size of the threads.

BruceWayne
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by BruceWayne »

He'll sell you an adapter that lets you use it with the M6 threading. The threading for the y-connector is still G1/8, so you'd need a reverse adapter if you have an M6 thermometer.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by PIXIllate »

Has ANYONE actually done this rather than theorize that it's possible?

I'd be interted to see a photo of what the group head looks like.

BruceWayne
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by BruceWayne »

I have a Bianca and a PID, so it's not a thermometer.
Lelit Bianca User Experience

It extends slightly more due to the M6 to G1/8 adapter at the base of the y-connector.

jtferraro (original poster)

#6: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Hmm...interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd love to hear about experiences and see pics of this splitter installed with the M6 thread adapter, Eric's thermometer and a brew pressure gauge.
-Jeff

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas »

Having had both HX and DB machines (among others), my advice is to go with the thermometer at least until you're fully familiar with the flushing requirements of your particular HX. Maybe then switch over to a manometer. I know of no adapter that will permit both.

mckolit

#8: Post by mckolit »

jtferraro wrote:Hmm...interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd love to hear about experiences and see pics of this splitter installed with the M6 thread adapter, Eric's thermometer and a brew pressure gauge.
You can be that guy :D

Ypuh

#9: Post by Ypuh »

From what I've read it makes little sense to use a FCD on a vibe pump machine. Vibe pumps already built up slower to a lower pressure (7-8 ml/s) than a rotary pump which instantly goes to 12+ ml/s.

The goal of flow profiling is to ramp it up with a few seconds of 2-3 ml/s and limit the primary flow to 6-8 ml/s. These are just general assumptions, but should give you an idea that it makes far less sense on an Appartamento (which also has no PID to control the temperature, so a temp sensor is preferred) than an Evo R (which has a rotary pump and is pretty temperature stable) or R58 (which kind of removes the need for a temperature sensor).
I don't want a Decent

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by PIXIllate » replying to Ypuh »

These are incorrect assumptions. Flow profiling is a deep topic and the type of pump the machine has is irrelevant. The Decent does not have a rotary pump and is the most capable flow and pressure profiling machine you can buy. Direct levers have no pump at all (besides the monkey attached to the handle) and they are even more flexible in terms of flow profiling.