I'm planning to test the extraction phenomenon with a transparent basket.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
indend007

#1: Post by indend007 »

I'm planning to test the extraction phenomenon with a transparent basket with pressure profiling machine.

Through the transparent basket test, we would like to actually explore several extraction dynamics that were difficult to see with the naked eye.

We are considering topics such as how packed and unpacked coffee powder responds to brewing pressure, how the flow of pre-infusion actually behaves differently depending on the flow rate, and whether the coffee puck actually swells during the pre-infusion phase. Perhaps this transparent basket testing will allow us to explore more topics.

I'm also curious about what tests you want to do. And all content will be continuously updated through my YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/c/indend007)and Instagram(https://www.instagram.com/indend007).

Please leave a comment down below, I will try to verify them one by one.

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

That's an interesting portafilter basket assembly, it looks reminiscent of the KvdW Idromatic without the spring and piston assembly.

I look forward to viewing your experimentations.

Thanks for posting.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

ziptie

#3: Post by ziptie »

That looks very steampunk. I love it!

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

I would love to see what that portafilter would reveal about the flow characteristics of an un-level tamping. In my mind I picture the entire surface dampening and swelling immediately and low side soaking through quickly, basically leaving the high side dry at the bottom until very late in the extraction because the path has already been cleared in the "fast lane" where the oils are already flowing out.
It would be neat to see if that's visible in that portafilter, or to see just how wrong my imagination of it is.