HX espresso machine owners: Do you still have upgraditis? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?

HX espresso machine owners: Do you still have upgraditis?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 95

bigdog002

#11: Post by bigdog002 »

One thing I'll warn you about, probably my only complaint about an HX .....

PREPARE TO USE LOTS OF WATER!

The cooling flush uses about 8oz when the machine has been idle, plus I run water after shot to scrub the shower screen, plus I water backflush after each shot. Thankfuly I'm able to use tap water which makes it acceptable. If you have to use bottled water it can really be a hassle.

NO urge to upgrade, whatsoever!

Chris

zin1953

#12: Post by zin1953 »

joellawry wrote:Well, i have been living with a fully commercial Expobar for two months, and already Im looking for a new machine.

Upgraditis may possibly be cured when i have all of the following;

1) Synesso Cyncra 2grp
2) Kees van der Westen Idrocompresso 2 grp

so don't take my example as normal, besides im only 16, got years of upgrades ahead :P
Hey, I'd be content with either one! Even a Mirage . . . but at 54, I guess I'm not so greedy! :wink:
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
kinkbmxco

#13: Post by kinkbmxco »

I purchased an Alex MK1 last March or April and have absolutely no regrets at all. It definitely cured my upgraditis... I imagine though, if I were to get a HX machine that had a vibe pump and was a pour over, I would eventually desire those options enough to where I would want an upgrade.

errickson

#14: Post by errickson »

After a couple initial rounds with Starbucks machines (SS Barista, etc.), I too began my 'real' journey with the Silvia / Rocky combo. For me, I was never quite able to take advantage of what it has to offer. The temp surfing thing took its toll. Took a stab at upgrading by purchasing an Expobar Office Control / Pasquini Moka grinder combo. That combo certainly suited our needs for a couple years. However, not ever knowing temps & pressures began to get frustrating (red light turning on & off just wasnt enough). When Chris introduced the LaSpaz Mini Vivaldi II a few weeks ago, I knew it was time to take the plunge. Plumbing in was absolutely not an option for me, so I decided the Mini Vivaldi was the best option available. I believe my upgrade journey has come to an end. Final words: Thank God for eBay & Craigs List! :lol:

Jasonian

#15: Post by Jasonian »

As often as I work with and use commercial equipment, I've learned to accept upgraditis as a natural state of existence.

It will be cured one day... but not by a domestic heat exchanger model.
Owner - AJ Coffee Company
HB Rocks!

Coffeecritter

#16: Post by Coffeecritter »

I was hit by upgraditis a few months ago and vividly remember the symptoms. Including the repetitive motion ache in my mouse hand and wrist from searching forums and equipment sites.

I upgraded from the Livia 90 to the Elektra A-3 and have no regrets and doubt I ever will. Plumbed-in is the way to go! I doubt I'll ever miss putting water into a reservoir. And the steam power! The outrageous gaudy glamour of her looks are just the icing on the cake. (The Olympia Cremina doesn't count - She's a little princess that deserves all the fuss I lavish on her...)

Now, the grinder upgrade (Mazzer mini to Macap MK7R) was a major improvement, as well. The quality of the grind went from pretty darn good to consistently superior.

I always like to encourage other people to spend money, so I strongly suggest you succumb to your illness and enjoy the cure.

Sue
Life's too short to live in Dallas!

LMWDP #157

Jacob

#17: Post by Jacob »

Jasonian wrote:I've learned to accept upgraditis as a natural state of existence.
:lol:

Robur/GS3 cured me (coffee wise) :wink:

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
bigdog002

#18: Post by bigdog002 »

The grinder is a different matter ... love my SJ ... BUT ..

What I wouldn't give for an AFFORDABLE, doserless NON CLUMPING grinder ... the Versalab looks amazing but the price is prohibitive.

Ok, sorry to hijak, LOL.

Chris

dsblv
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by dsblv »

My guess is the poll results will radically change when the new dual boiler VBM machines come out in 2008. After looking at HX machines, I finally concluded that the machines had too many compromises to justify their cost. Most of the machines use a vibe pump and require temperature surfing. You do get a dual function machine, but with major shortcomings.

A true upgrade from a Silvia should have a rotary pump, be plumbed in and have full electronic temperature control. That points to a dual boiler machine. The Vivaldi II is a good example of an upgrade path from a Silvia. And, the new VBMs will likely generate huge interest in this forum when they come out.

doleeo

#20: Post by doleeo »

After my silvia, I got an Anita, I will say I love that machine but, I wish I would've got a vetrano....

After the purchase, I moved my espresso machine on to a cart which is right by a fridge and a bathroom. I was talking to my dad about how nice it would be to have a plumbed in machine and he says "well where your machine is it would be really easy" :evil: I guess I should've asked him about it BEFORE buying a new machine!

As for the HX vs. DB, I find the Anita easy to use. With some practice you'll be able to flush to within 1 degree of your desired shot temp. And the steaming is great, plenty of steam and a pretty fast recovery time.

From time to time I'll find myself lusting after a double boiler but for me, I don't think it is very practical considering I'm the only user of my machine and I understand what it takes to get to the correct brew temperature.